Graphics Problems with 4k resolution - Fixed

Richard,
I just downloaded and installed the SR11 update. Thought I’d let you know this issue was not addressed. I ended up adjusting the screen resolution and size of all items, as @Blipsky noted below. A work-around until all software packages are up to date.
/SPM

With a System Registry key addition and copying a manifest file to the folder where 64-bit Rhino V5 lives, you can fix the small icon problem on high resolution monitors.

The details are in this new FAQ support document:
http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/5/video/highres/toolbars_and_text_too_small_in_64-bit_rhino_5_on_high_resolution_screen

This also fixes the same issue for Grasshopper in 64-bit V5

1 Like

John, did this but no change… interface elements still dinky. Didn’t see any change to the menu options regarding interface elements. Am I missing something??? Thanks for responding.

I don’t see how that can be.
You can manually check to see if the manifest file is in the correct folder, and if the System Registry key was created.

rhino.exe.manifest copies to:
C:\Program Files\Rhinoceros 5 (64-bit)\System\

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide]
“PreferExternalManifest”=dword:00000001

Does 32-bit Rhino V5 have larger icons?
This hack makes Windows treat 64-bit V5 just like 32-bit V5.

Thanks for the quick return.
Sorry but Rhino 5 (32 bit) also has dinky interface elements on my 4K monitor.
Registration edit was successful… but I can’t see “PreferExternalManifest…” using regedit and searching around
Where should I look??
rhino.exe.manifest was copied to C:\Program Files\Rhinoceros 5 (64-bit)\System\

Update: Did find PreferExternalManifest Type:REG_DWORD Data:0x00000001(1) in Registry

Do you have Rhino icons set to Small in Options > Toolbars > Size and Styles? I would suggest Medium or Large.
In Windows Control Panel, your Display settings probably suggest a size for all items of 150%-200% as well. I have my Surface Pro 4 set to the recommended 200%

Perfect. All good now. Thank you.

I did this fix and it now makes the viewport resolution terrible. How do I change it back?

Had you also changed font and text scaling in the Control Panel? Is the Shortcut compatibility property set to something other than default? If so get everything set back to defaults.

If they are at defaults, then just delete the manifest file you copied and restart Windows.

Hi there, i have a problem where my Rhino looks fuzzy and old looking, however i have the new Dell XPS 15’, just wondering if anyone could help?

@Chris_Van_Corler
We’d need more info, but your case could be probably fixed with the tips that JB posted: https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/5/video/highres/toolbars_and_text_too_small_in_64-bit_rhino_5_on_high_resolution_screen
Does that help?

Yes but now my text is too small and don’t know how to fix it , I am on the 90 trial too so don’t have a key

Chris Van Corler

Hi Chris - just in case it is this problem

-Pascal

It Didn’t work

Chris Van Corler