Gold material. How to setup something for a basic design development evaluation

That’s strange, I installed the current official (20.7.0) version to create the scene, but also checked it with the newer 20.9.0 build. Please be sure to send the crash report to McNeel if it occurs again.

I was just about to ask you regarding this if you have an idea:
I normally do very small details work, and usually manually finish with hand made burnishers [lots of different ones some smaller then a millimetre across the working face]
AFAIU it’s the job of a bump map to create this kind of subtle nonuniform look. But the so called Burnished bump map I could find are all mechanical and uniformed.
I think it is possible scalp a plane with texture like that in Zbrush and a map from that. but it seems like a small project [also making it tile-able]

With thanks
Akash

In some cases it is possible to forgo an actual scratch map and use a material’s anisotropy parameter, if it has one. This biases reflections in a particular direction, instead of reflecting uniformly. Here is a complex IOR gold material with roughness=20 and anisotropy=0:

And here is the same material with anisotropy=100% and rotation 45 degrees:

I tried again and it open now [after a few minutes trying]
it’s probably because you saved it with Bella display mode as current. and so it loads the models like that [my machine is set to open in maximised perspective ].

it looks very nice.
I’ll try later your scene with a bit more complex object
thanks a lot. seems very promising.

Ah that makes sense, I wish there was a rhino option to prevent realtime render display modes from always starting up immediately.

1 Like

I have requested this in the past, maybe more votes will make it happens.

thanks A lot I’ll try to understand the material anisotropy possibilities, but it is quite different then what I’m trying to achieve with the hand burnished look,
here’s an example a photo of an hand made part.
This is an unedited photo so the gold don’t have the exact real look as the physical item, but texture is showing well

I see, yes that’s quite a different thing, and will require various maps. I rendered a skull in this other thread that used gold with some subtle roughness & bump mapping: Sub D challenge 3! … something in that direction, but I was just using some procedural rhino textures, where it looks like your case may need some custom-painted maps.

Here trying to use your setting on another object,
just copied it into your scene without changing anything.
and I can’t get it to render correctly
[gave it the gold material in your scene]

That looks quite different, like the environment has changed. I wonder if copying changed render settings or anything else. If you upload it I can take a look and see.

If you add Rhino Metal, pick correct color, you can then convert to PBR by changing the type to it.

Now you have access to all useful channels like roughness, bump/normal, etc.

Under the hood all basic Rhino materials, with the exception of Plaster, are converted to PBR anyway.

Can I send it to you privately ?
it’s a model I’m currently working on.

Sure thing.

Thank you Nathan
I understand that… but I still am unable to arrive at a usable setting. part of the problem is that try and error adjustments with the available speed of my machine, is very difficult. so the post was about trying to find a good starting place.
waiting to the Denoiser to comes aboard

Akash

for that it is best to use a normal map. Example render:

1 Like

these are very good!

Can these be found somewhere? Or can they be made?
[I don’t have Adobe’s Substance which I assume is the best place to go]

I made the normal map myself, based on a scratch pattern, I’ll pm you the normal map and hdri I used for that image. I think for small objects like these it helps to have something like a cloth for sense of scale.

thank you very much,
I will try to set up a scene + material with them tomorrow
[it’s a little late here now]
eventually [or much sooner] I will need to learn how to create maps by myself.

with best regards
Akash

with some grunge mapping to the glossiness and some dirt mapping to the reflection color you can make the piece look more old/worn/handmade. Example using this model

4 Likes

Poderia me dar uma amostra de como conseguiu este efeito? Pode ser um print da aba materiais e rendering. Eu tenho conesguido efeitos bem interessantes no render do rhino 6.0.
Veja a foto.
Obrigado

It’s a self made scratch image converted to a normal map. If you want I can share the normal map, send me a pm

This is a small part of it. Original is too big to post here.