GHPython Ten Year Anniversary 🎉

I was just asked how long I’ve been using GHPython and realised it’s been a decade! I’m not entirely certain when the first release was, but the first GitHub commit by @piac is ten years ago next week:

And the first mention on @stevebaer’s blog was the following week:

Anywho, I just wanted to say a massive thanks for developing something that enables me to use my favourite programming language within my favourite modelling environment every day (and even get to make a living doing so). You guys rock, and I can’t wait to see what’s next for (IronPython/C)-Python in Rhino/Grasshopper :snake:

16 Likes

Ten years; wow!

Things have been changing quite a bit lately. With Rhino 7 we now have

I’m pretty sure we will have some other big python related advancements in Rhino 8, but I hate making any promises.

6 Likes

That’s only 6 months in cat age…

and you @AndersDeleuran… ten years being a key “ghpythonista” for the rest of users, THANKS!!

1 Like

A big and warm thank you to you Anders, for continuously sharing your knowledge and wisdom with the community and helping where you can. I probably wouldn’t be the casual programmer I am today without the support of people like you.

2 Likes

Oh shit, some timely news over here:

Maybe it’s time to consider adapting the IronPython icon, it seems to be sticking around :partying_face:

4 Likes

I saw that tweet too. We’ve been investigating the use of alternative runtimes using tools like pythonnet and CPython for Rhino in the future so I’m not entirely ready to switch icons :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hehe, fair enough :wink: Either way, some really exciting (and unexpected) developments happening. Native CPython in Rhino would be amazing!

Native CPython 3 is now in the Rhino 8 WIP

8 Likes