GH: Tricky 3D Rotation Angles

I used Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11 and some inbuilt “std” mp4 compression (Sony AVC/MVC), which obviously wasn’t very successful.

So now I have converted all videos in this thread using the following converter ( http://www.h264encoder.com/ ). Super fast, and produces very small files.

Edit: Second video was the wrong one. Empty cache to see the correct one (the statement about the meaningless formula ArcSin(Cos(v))" doesn’t make sense otherwise :slight_smile: )

// Rolf

Still doesn’t work for me.

I tried with Chrome on W10 and I can see the videos. But this is perhaps because I have installed a codec pack (K-Lite Codec Pack, http://codecguide.com/ )

Edit: The cache seem to be very sticky in Chrome. Using Chrome I couldn’t see the videos either at first. I had to press CTRL-F5 two times before they showed up.

// Rolf

1 Like

Ah yes, there they are. Seems it was indeed the cache.

had a chance to try this out tonight…

BallJoint.gh (21.9 KB)

a little youtube about it:

i was able to make use use of @MarcusStrube’s idea about making a plane with an expression :wink:

2 Likes

That is a nice solution as well. Interesting to compare different takes on a problem.

I had managed to make the other stuff parametric which you demonstrated, like the inner ball diameter, thickness of the outer shell, axle diameter, axle length, tolerance and so on. The part I stumbled upon was this last part, rotating the outer shell following the ball-intersection of the axle.

But thank you for your contribution, I will take a deeper look also into your solution.

This group is awesome!

// Rolf

the basic approach i went for was:

• black circle is the inner sphere
• dark green circle is the cylinder
• light green circle is the opening of the outer sphere
• yellow plane rotates
• white axis is on the yellow plane and the blue angle rotates around it

(not sure if that’s confusing sounding or not :wink: )

The videos from @RIL don’t show on my phone with chrome. The YouTube video shows just fine.

Edit: downloading the videos and playing them in the video player works fine, but is a bit of a pain :slight_smile: