GH Switched from Blazing Fast to Impossibly Slow

Hi,

I have been working with a large definition that uses custom components and GH components together as well as the timer component to serve some animation workflows. The timer is disabled globally and also on the canvas but ever since I ran this process last week my definition has become impossible to work with. It seems that even with no activity, GH is re-calculating the definition about once every second and the model is flashing in the Rhino viewport. Is there a way to set the ‘refresh’ rate of the model? How can I be sure that the timer is not affecting my definition? Thanks for any clues…

Delete it? Nothing has changed in the timer code in months if not years.

Is it still super slow if you switch the preview to wireframe mode?

1 Like

Tried deleting it and the effect persists… same performance lag in wireframe or shaded.
gif here is to represent the impact, about once every 1.5 seconds the model has a refresh with associated lag and no action from me.

Another clue… the ‘canvas redraw speed’ function shows that I have about 50 fps, but when I move the canvas I’m at more like 1 fps. There has to be some component that is forcing a refresh? What other components can do this?

Well in case anyone ever finds this, it seems that there was a loop caught in the Metahopper component that selects objects from a group. Wouldn’t have found this without the bottleneck component :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Metahopper bottleneck component can also freeze your entire GH definition. It happened to me several times, I still use it, but I always make sure not to leave it open while doing development, only when focussing on timing, and opening it only after saving the GH definition…

// Rolf