Getting two surfaces to SMOOTHLY merge

Dwight_Site_Test.3dm (2.4 MB)

I have two roadways which meet each other in a perpendicular way. I construct each roadway using a network surface. I make sure that each roadway shares an identical edge. I increase the edge tolerance to 1e-5. STILL, when I go to MergeSrf, the program refuses since the edges don’t perfectly line up. I’ve tried rebuilding the surfaces. I’ve tried joining them and then rebuilding them. I’ve tried rebuilding the network curves for one of the surfaces so that they are order 2 near the problematic area. Nothing works to ensure a smooth transition between these two roadways. I need the transition to be almost perfectly smooth for input into another program.

What’s the best strategy for dealing with this?

Hello - I’d say the smaller surface should be rectangular and have the roundy corners trimmed out of it once it’s done - that way, you’d have at least a hope of getting a smoothly connected edge there. By making the surface sweep out and come to a point, the control point arrangement does not really lend itself to making a nice connection with the larger surface.

Dwight_Site_Test_PG.3dm (1.1 MB)

-Pascal

also your transition folds over, so anyway rebuild that from scratch i would say.

Thank you for your responses. Any idea why my transition might fold over? Is it because of sharp corner points as Pascal alluded to?

i am not fully sure if i can answer that, it may depend on what you used. it would be probably helpful to post the original input curves you had and not just the finished surfaces. one theory would be that they fold up because the surface widens transitionally towards the connection to the other street and also bending very slightly back, this may cause the surface to fold.