Gear simulation

Thanks, that looks a handy addition

Yes - to move a point with a slider, you can make an anchor goal with a target input. Then you can move that target point however you like in Grasshopper and it will update in the simulation (when no target point input is provided, anchors default to keeping the point in the same location it starts at).
movinganchor.gh (9.9 KB)
dial

1 Like

Great thank you very much

Thanks to @DanielPiker
Gear animation.
the gears created with this online tool: Free Gear Generator - Design & Create Spur Gears – Evolvent Design

Speed ratio = Gear 1 Pitch Circle Diameter / Gear 2 Pitch Circle Diameter (this used in the script)
or
Speed ratio = Gear 1 Number of teeth / Gear 2 Number of teeth

Speed ratio used to find rotation transformation of the second gear, and using speed ratio faster than using collision because we already have the gears and all informations about them.

gear animation.gh (21.3 KB)

2 Likes

I test your file , and i don’t think you need Kangaroo to make gears animation but you need it for linkage.
You also need to use the Gear addon properly.

GEAR_TEST_.gh (14.6 KB)

I think the examples of the gears with fixed centers were only to illustrate getting that part working. Certainly if the gears are all staying in fixed locations just rotating there’s no need for simulation, just a ratio of rotation.
When the axles are also moving though, as in the original question I think simulation makes more sense.

How about replace gears with circles in the original file and let Kangaroo calculate the movement then replace the circles with gears using intersection of the circles as reference.
using Kangaroo for animation like this is very complicated.
I try using linkage but always the top part have problem

GEAR_TEST_.gh (24.6 KB)

This is a new test but the gear does not rotate, maybe the gears need new settings or Kangaroo setup is wrong.

GEAR_linkage_.gh (32.1 KB)