Future of Rhino - ARM you ready to Jump?

At least not for v7, maybe for v8.

it is not so much about recompiling Mono for different frameworks, rather recompiling Mono for the different architectures.

Certainly, Mono needs to keep up with the different framework versions as well, but that is not the main point in being able to run on Arm here.

Okay that confuses me. Isnā€™t that connected to each other? On Windows the .Net Framework is basically just a set of libraries. A large standard library. It is mostly written in C/C++ and assembly. And as such it needs to be recompiled for ARM targets. Since any framework version is a different set of compiled dll in the end, it would require to recompile any major version to support older C# projects to run on ARM. Of course (on Windows) Microsoft could say, we support that feature just for the latest framework. And so any C# project needs to update the framework if they want to support ARM architecture.

Like wise Mono - recompile is needed, possibly some code fixes to properly support the Apple stuff.

Mono is being updated and supported by Microsoft, so Iā€™m sure itā€™ll eventually fall in line with the rest.

Okay didnā€™t know this. Iā€™m sure they find a good solution then :slight_smile:

The people at Xamarin were the original mono team. Xamarin was purchased by Microsoft a few years ago as they have great tech for compiling .NET code to native apps for iOS and Android. Over the last few years the C# codebase for mono has been getting updated with the same source as the .NET framework. It is the low level C++ libraries that are different (mscoree for .NET Framework and mono_sgen for mono). Mono has been compiled to ARM for a long time (hence the iOS version) and is most likely not a big deal for getting ARM support on the latest Macs. The library that needs updating is Xamarin.Mac which is the interop library for the cocoa frameworks on Mac.

The only .NET Framework versions that really matter anymore are 4.5+ versions (at least to McNeel). Mono ships with both the low level native platform specific binary and the framework assemblies (DLLs.)

1 Like

This stuff sounds completely GANGSTER.
My impression is, that the ļ£æM1 chips were so powerful, that they had to throttle them down to a point where they donā€™t make the larger 16ā€ MBP look stupid - and therefore just doubling battery life while bringing 3x-6x computing power.
Holy cow.

1 Like

i have several difficulties understanding some thingsā€¦ also how they keep up designs for so long without changing anything and having the pomposity of calling it the new macbookpro with thrilling intros. but yeah it is ok they still fulfill a function, design is hyped. the SOC are the more thrilling part no doubt. but instead of making fan less computers (which i hoped for) with ultimate performance in razor thin designs, they present this landmark of computer science in an unbelievable old stinky shoe, just to send the battery life to the moon, i really dont get it.

kicking out the initial designer who developed all that and leeching on his designs forever makes me wonder if this is a joke or if they are just smart enough to understand that apple fanboys (which i am beginning to cease in) will swallow any kind of crap as long as they call it new. they obviously dont want to spend any extra effort in anything anymore as long as they have just one more thing to keep us bent overā€¦

but well having that aside i am still curious how that will proceed. claiming such high performance boosts also in graphics, does sound promising after all.

Given the purported performance of these low end macs, it bodes extremely well for the higher end kit to come next year (assumed).

The way things are heading, if you want a high performance laptop, there is really only going to be one serious option and that will be these new macs with the M1 or M1X or whatever it ends up being called.

Video editing on the go: Mac. Photo editing on the go: Mac. Simulation on the go: Mac. 3D rendering on the go: Mac. 3D modelling on the go: Mac.

I see there is really only one option for software companies of demanding apps and thatā€™s to support these macs. If you donā€™t, someone else will and they will become the go to solution. With so much additional performance, it wonā€™t be pretty.

It seems like Rhino is in a good place. Companies like Autodesk with Revit etc are probably seriously worried.

The figures announced are simply stunning. Completely unprecedented. Iā€™ve been following tech pretty avidly for 25 years or so and Iā€™ve never seen anything close to a 3x performance improvement in a single product upgrade. Itā€™s simply astounding.

4 Likes
1 Like

I donā€™t know if doing many of these things ā€œon the goā€ is that useful, but Iā€™m sure that reducing the power consumption and reducing fan noise on high performance tasks is something useful and sustainable. A big gain.

Still the problem of software is a big one. Having worked in many industrial R&D departments, itā€™s not that people using standard software but also many other (partially self written) minor tools. Migrating/Recompiling a software (no matter how hard that actually is) requires work. And breaking a toolchain just because one software can not be executed can be a serious problem.

So I believe it just takes some years until it truly becomes an alternative for many. And last but not least Apple is extremely good in marketing. That always makes me a bit skeptical, but usually itā€™s still a good choice.

Apple is ONLY marketing. I am struggling right now to render 2k x 3k image on my MBP and it keeps crashing. which frustrates me terribly.
Apple is good looking toy for minor tasks and simple applications.

of course any laptop with a low tdp intel cpu isnā€™t suited for rendering or any sutained multithreaded workloads.
statements like this:

omg

2 Likes

It is my observation based on using 2 MBPs and iPhones 7, 8 and 11 and I can put this statement in capital letters again.

yeah, okay. Iā€™m sure you werenā€™t basing your generalisation on your limited experiences or anythingā€¦

1 Like

ā€œGangsterā€ like in really dope aka ā€œshut up and take my moneyā€, or rather hell no?

Haha, arenā€™t you overestimating their chip design and production capabilities a little bit?
I guess in reality, they are experimenting with this new stacked ARM chip design (integrated memory, T2, GPU, USB controlller, etc.). Craig (?) even sheepishly said in the presentation that the full transition to ARM is going to take them some time.
This and them only updating their ā€œlow tearā€, consumer-grade computers, probably points to them not having market-ready ARM chips for their pro-sumer line, or even bigger desktop computers like the iMac.
Thermal throttling is probably happening between the MacBook Air and 13" MacBook Pro though, since the fan thus far seems to be the only difference in hardware really.

Also, if you read the fine print on their website, their statements about performance increase (3x, 4x, 6x, etc.) mostly relate to their previous, off-the-shelf models of the same gist - mostly featuring Intel i3 CPUs and integrated Intel graphics -, which by all means arenā€™t workhorses.
The increase in performance and energy seems interesting nonetheless.

I guess that most of their performance increase is due to software optimization, after all Mooreā€™s law was still a thing last I checked! Iā€™m reluctant to see how less-optimized, more general, multi-platform applications (i.e. Rhino, Blender, etc.) perform?
They seem to have really tailored Big Sur towards the new chips, which might be good or bad in the long run.

My main difficulty is reading their performance charts, since they are really bad! :rofl:
Marketing-wise I understand it! Charts make every idiot feel intellectual, even if the chart itself literally doesnā€™t represent anything. WTF, Apple!! :upside_down_face:

Have they really kicked out Jony, or was he simply fed up with designing the same thing over and over?
Anyways, Iā€™m sure there were many more people involved in the design than just the lonesome star designer. Heā€™s really mostly known for ā€œstealingā€ from Dieter Rams.
Also I donā€™t bend over for nobody and neither should you (except if you want to)! :wink:

LOL, I really doubt that. They are still a small-ish computer manufacturer (compared to HP, Dell, etc.). There are many more Windows users than there are macOS ones, especially in the professional world. :slight_smile:

What figures? I wouldnā€™t call 3x, 4x, 6x, ā€¦ figures! Unprecedented? I imagine somebody else has proclaimed 4x the performance over something else in the computer biz before. :thinking:

Absolutely. I also feel like portability is maybe overrated? I mostly work at my desk, but hey thatā€™s me. I also prefer a mouse, over any track pad, even though theirs is fabulous.
Most people in the Apple spots, seem to work on the couch, their bed, the kitchen table, etc. though. At least, ā€œcomputer-pillow-asphyxiationā€ wonā€™t be an issue with the new MacBook Air anymore. :smiley:

Agreed, but even hardcore Windows users mostly agree that the current hardware developments are really going nowhere in terms of energy-efficiency and thermal management. Itā€™s kind of refreshing to see a company going another route (although there may be others not screaming as loud).
That said, there is a grace period with universal binaries, that support x86 and ARM for the coming years on macOS. I guess you really have no pressure to recompile anything or break any workflow for now, unless you want to run natively, which for small tools probably seems overkill.

Not really! They also make overall really great, pretty, and expensive products that mostly last you a long time and perform excellent, but on the other hand arenā€™t really easy to repair and could have better GPU performance.

I use my ā€œgood-lookingā€ MPB for serious tasks though. :slight_smile:
Rendering works fine for me, at least in Blender and Keyshot. It could be faster, but it isnā€™t that bad.

Iā€™d even dumb that down to ā€œany laptopā€ isnā€™t suited for heavy, prolonged workloads. Itā€™s a portable device, you trade power for portability. It isnā€™t that hard to understand really!

2 Likes

The first Geekbench 5 results are out and it looks like the Macbook Air is crushing the current Macbook Pro with the i9-9880H, so this is pretty exciting.

The single core performance is actually on par with the Ryzen9 5950X and lets not forget that the M1 in the Macbook Air needs no fan at all!

Iā€™m sure it will take some time till a lot of software will be ported, but its looking good. Cinema4D and Redshift is already available as universal binary.

4 Likes

a geekbench score does not necessarily translate to every real world application. for example cpu-X might be good at integer performance but cpu-Z might perform better at floating. I would assume that geekbench isnā€™t testing sustained loads either. M1 performance is probably very good but it is a very small piece of silicon with only a few watts allowed to drain. the latest cinebench R23 also supports the M1, this should give a better understanding of how it fairs in a workload that is similar to what we need.

Whether the macs with the new M1 chips are suitable for rendering etc remains to be seen.

What we can say for sure is that the processing performance for the amount energy used is in a whole different league to anything from intel or amd.

On big beasts of desktops, sure, youā€™ll get higher performance at the moment with a threadripper or multi core Xeon or whatever. But for that, youā€™ll be chewing through hundreds of watts.

What weā€™ve seen now with Apple Silicon is that in the portable market they are going to be streets ahead at least for a few years. Performance and energy use are incredibly tightly linked in small enclosures that run off battery.

On desktop, we can expect huge gains too, just not quite so stark because you can always burn through more energy and add in crazy cooling systems to try to keep up. Ultimately though, many high performance PCs are limited by their cooling capacity. Render farms, data centres etc are very much limited by energy use / cooling.

What we are witnessing is something that is going to completely transform the computing market. It makes sense that they are starting with the lower end laptops. These are closer in form factor (and therefore battery / cooling) to the iPad Pro that will use a similar / the same chip.

Apple are presumably working away on something significantly different to what weā€™ve seen on the iPad and with the M1. Something that has many more cores, more ram, much better GPU and more I/O. It will be much more energy efficient than anything else available at similar performance. Or perhaps much lower energy use and much higher performance than anything else available. Thatā€™s the future we are heading towards.

Exciting times.

4 Likes

This is astonishing. Iā€™ve got an i9 16ā€ MacBook Pro and this MacBook Air costing Ā£1000 is faster. I expected it to be close but I wasnā€™t sure it would beat it hands down. Mind is blown.