Fuse pipes organically (to create envelope around curves)

The black lines may not necessarily touch in 3D. How do I pipe these lines so that at the junction points, i.e. where the lines are close to each other, there is a smooth transition like shown in red?

I want to have a more organic / blobby structure from a network of lines. Again, the lines don’t necessarily touch.

Have you ever tried MultiPipe?

2 Likes

To control the size of the smoothed region at the node, adjust the ‘EndOffset’ slider in HS_Kim’s definition above.

Thanks! I tried, but I don’t get any smoothing at the nodes, even if the lines touch (which they don’t).

OK I can get it to work, if the lines touch and if they are split at the intersection. As the lines in the actual model don’t touch, this is not feasible.

Would it be possible to proceed as follows?

1. Pipe the lines

2. Boolean union all pipes. (the lines don’t touch, but the pipes are fat enough so that they intersect)

3. Apply some smoothing, to blur out the nodes.

pipe

2 Likes

Thanks Kim. Can you separate the lines, so that they don’t touch? (as described in my original message)

No, I can’t. MultiPipeneeds lines that are touched each other.
Maybe you need to check other mesh thickening tools like Dendro plugin.

Thanks, but that the lines don’t touch is part of the challenge. See my original post. The idea is to create kind of a smooth envelope around a collection of curves.

I tried with Dendro and its smoothing option. That gets me closer:

As it may get lost, I repeat my original question and illustration:

How do I pipe these lines so that at the junction points, i.e. where the lines are close to each other, there is a smooth transition like shown in red?

Hi @DanielPiker
How does(we use fuse Or. multipipe Api in c# ?)
Does this Class Add to SubDClass (method) in mcneel Api or…? In kangaroo what?

I don’t get it, how is this supposed to work? If you have curved very far apart they will create a huge mesh unifying them both?

How does this look in perspective?

If lines do not touch what about projecting them to XY plane so that they do?

As I wrote in a post above: “the lines don’t touch, but the pipes are fat enough so that they intersect”

See my other post above: “The idea is to create kind of a smooth envelope around a collection of curves.”

Dendro comes close, although I have to add curves to the end points, or else smoothing will remove the envelope around them. But this is doable. See my screenshot above, where I added a line on the left, to prevent smoothing from going too far inwards, like it does on the right.