Frequent Rhino 6 Crashes using Grasshopper

I am also experiencing crash when launching grasshopper. It seems to happen at 22 % when loading GH Python if that helps at all. See screen shot. And thanks for all the hard work.

This manifests with a crash report window? If yes, please always send the reports.

Recently we have had a lot of crashes from the V-Ray plugin trying to load. It’s entirely possible the crash happened when GH was beginning to load the next plugin after python, and there wasn’t time to update the progress bar to reflect this. Do you have any vray associated GHA files on your machine? If yes, try and change their file extension to *.notgha and see if that fixes it.

I found one gha component in Chaos Group program files and renamed it using .notgha. Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue. I ended up uninstalling Vray in total and that fixed the issue.

Has anyone else with VRay running in Rhino 5 had this issue?

I will try reinstalling with out the Grasshopper components.

Thanks David.

Yes, it’s a very common problem these days. Lot of crash reports coming in originating in Vray. We don’t really have a solution to this other than to tell people to uninstall.

1 Like

Yes, I found the same problem in Rhino 6. The problem is the Grasshopper Vray components from Rhino 5 Grasshopper.

I simply went to the special components folder and deleted the Vray plugin for Grasshopper. The component should be here:

%appdata%\Grasshopper\Libraries

Does that help?

4 posts were split to a new topic: Crash with compiled GHPY component

i’m having the same problem, I have deleted all the vray files I can find but it has not worked,

this is the crash report

System::AppDomain::CurrentDomain->UnhandledException event occurred

SENDER: Name:DefaultDomain
There are no context policies.

EXCEPTION: System.DllNotFoundException
MESSAGE: Unable to load DLL ‘VRaySDKLibrary’: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
SOURCE: “VRaySDK.Net
CALL STACK
at VRay.RendererUtils.releaseVRayRenderer(IntPtr renderer)
at VRay.VRayRenderer.Finalize()

If you have a recent Rhino6 Service Release, you should have access to the _GrasshopperLoadOneByOne command (it may or may not auto-complete). This will specifically ask you per GHA whether it should be loaded. When you click ‘yes’, the exact path to the GHA file will be put in the clipboard, so if it crashes during that plugin, you can go and find the actual file.

2 Likes

Thank you for your help!

Hi, we are also experiencing frequent crashes in V6 with definitions that used to run smooth.
We do not have Vray on our machines.
The only plugins used by these definitions are Human, Human UI and Metahopper, but I suspect the problem is elsewhere because these plugins are in other GH definitions which are not prone to crashing.

1 Like

@osuire do you have some parallel components running in the definition?

Please run the _GetIssueState command with the RH-46468 issue identifier. If the command line tells you that “git commit in this build = True”, then please test whether the crash frequency is down.

@osuire do you have some parallel components 3 running in the definition?

Yes, lots of them.
They are one of the GH improvements that make the update to V6 worthwhile.

Is there a reason behind the question? I don’t know of any parallel components that are crashing.

Yes. I’ve seen a few components crash in early releases of V6. Multi-threading is also one of the major changes in V6 Grasshopper.

Hi @osuire,

do you think you could you try disabling “Multi-threaded GH components” for a test? It would help ruling out this one as a possible source of problems.

But Giulio, things have been working fine since the last release (6.6.18156.11421, 06/05/2018).
How could I tell if disabling “Multi-threaded GH components” had any effect ?

If things are working fine since the last release, I doubt the multithreading had anything to do with this. The more likely cause would have been components that create Text3d instances. We just fixed a major bug in the latest release that could have manifested itself when Text3d instances were being used.

I’m still crashing, crashing, crashing,…

Hello I have gotten 1 or 2 reports of grasshopper crashing in my office with Rhino 6. I was able to replicate a crash on my end. Windows Event Viewer shows this message:

Application: Rhino.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException at UnsafeNativeMethods.ON_Intersect_CurveBrep(IntPtr, IntPtr, Double, IntPtr, IntPtr) at Rhino.Geometry.Intersect.Intersection.CurveBrep(Rhino.Geometry.Curve, Rhino.Geometry.Brep, Double, Rhino.Geometry.Curve[] ByRef, Rhino.Geometry.Point3d[] ByRef) at SurfaceComponents.SolidComponents.Component_BRepLineIntersect.Compute(Rhino.Geometry.Brep, Rhino.Geometry.Line) at SurfaceComponents.SolidComponents.Component_BRepLineIntersect+_Closure$__11-0._Lambda$__0() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].InnerInvoke() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(System.Threading.Tasks.Task ByRef) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(Boolean) at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()