FormZ vs. Rhino

All you have to do in Rhino is create a box for example (using the box command). Then Sub-object select using the gumball. You can easily extract faces, extrude them, or move them using the gumball. Then use the Split face command to subdivide the faces and extrude the smaller faces with the gumball. Very easy. As quick as any other program. Not complex at all.

And if you don’t like using the gumball (with the modifier keys), use the old method of typing commands like ExtrudeSrf. Very easy, and you can type in an exact distance as well.

I’m not extremely familiar with architecture, but I guess a mechanical CAD program might be better for that kind of stuff. Buildings usually consist of mostly rectangles and straight lines, right? Such simple forms are probably easier to create in Inventor, Solidworks or whatever. And with a feature tree, changes are easier as well.

My recollection of FormZ was that I had to define the hierarchical level of my selection EVERY time I made a selection. For me this was very tedious. I guess it’s a matter of what you are used to.
In the pulling out of a form you describe in your post, was FormZ working in polygons or NURBS? My understanding is that it is easier to implement that kind of push/pull sculpting with mesh models than with NURBS. And it may be that meshes will work perfectly for what you want to achieve.

If I have understood what you mean (I didn’t watch the video), then IMO you could use a slightly different approach rather than trying to replicate . For example:

• depending on the surfaces, instead of extracting isocurves it may be quicker to just draw a curve and project it on the surface.
  • you could split the polysurface without having to extract the surface first
  • rather than “pulling the surface out” with the gumball, you could just move it and then make a loft between the two closed naked edges
  • lastly, all these steps could be created in Grasshopper to have a complete construction history (sorry, I couldn’t resist :slight_smile: )

Again, maybe I haven’t fully understood the problem, and for sure Rhino has some issues with some specific faces/borders layouts, however I feel that there is a less convolute way to achieve that result.

I think your computer platform is important. I have the Windows version of Rhino and really like it, though most of my rapid 3d is done in Sketchup. I often have to exchange files with colleagues on Macs. The Mac version of Rhino is missing many features, and some elements (Like layout tabs) are lost in the transfer. Except for the great price, I probably would not get Rhino if I was using a Mac. On a PC, I’d say get it.