For Rhino V6 wishlist

Line weights are defined in units that they are printed to, not in world geometry units. In other words, two lines that are defined to have a print weight of 1mm will appear 1mm thick when printed even if one line is further from the viewer in a given viewport from the camera location than the other line.

Just wish it was an option as asked for, as it makes for visualising the final result far more easier than having to export the result to photoshop or print it, then go back and modify it, try again etc until it looks as required. A graphics prog displays lines in their true width, now I know Rhino isnt a graphics prog, but for simple work its far easier to just create drawings in Rhino3D than open up a graphics prog, especially as I am now familiar with Rhino as are others here and its easier to work with what we are familiar with than suddenly have to learn a prog just to do a simple drawing.
I have Affinity Designer but its cut tool , well it hasnt got one, I can get a simple graphics drawing done in Rhino.

Its doable, I find that if I select 1mm line weight and zoom out it becomes a mess, I dont find that usable. At some point in the zoom is the right screen rendition of how the line weights look, but where is it, not an easy way to draw and visualise.

Steve

V6 wish,
A greater choice of default dimensions, I choose millimetres small and yet find the smallest dimension style is massive for the small work I am creating, so just to have some extra choices called 2mm tall, 5mm tall, 8mm tall, 10mm tall (referring to the height of the numbers) would be so useful.

I bet I am not alone in not being able to use the default ones straight off the bat and have to create a new dimension or copy paste one in from a recent file.

Steve

Hi Steve- this is what templates are for- you can make the dimstyle you like in a template file and they’ll just be there.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi,
I guess I will have to start using templates, I just go file new and start that way. It says Templates as the folder name these new files are in, so when I get 5 mins I will read up on how to make a template and save it to that folder so my templates are there amongst the defaults.

Just thought it would be so easy to add a few extra styles, bit of coding, as others I bet go file new then rummage for dims to suit.

Steve

equivalent of excel format painter to apply style from one dimension to another.

I guess this is a wish so will place it here, sheer speed of execution rather than entering menus, see a dim, select it select format painter and click on another to make it that style.
takes a second.

Steve

I could see how a 'Match style option at the top of the list of dimstyles in Properties might be a useful thing here- would that work for you?

-Pascal

Reflected Ceiling Plan/Mirrored View

1 Like

Wish for V6

When making drawing views of my model I sometimes want to ‘HideInDetail’ certain parts. However when these parts are from an attached Worksession, it won’t remember the parts I’ve hidden after closing and reopening the file. This can get really annoying if you have multiple details and parts that need to be hidden.

Please improve the ‘HideInDetail’ functionality so it remembers what you’ve hidden.

3 Likes

My wishlist for Rhino 6:

• dynamic blocks
  • possibility to change radius of a filleted solid
  • better layout functionality, for full 2d-drawing capability
1 Like

Hi Pierre - FilletEdge has an Edit option in V6/WIP - this allows edting the radius of fillets made with FilletEdge in the V6/WIP.

-Pascal

Great!

Since I have two Rhino mac licenses, do you know when this will be avalible in Rhino mac?

Would speed up our design process enormously!

Thx!

Hi Pierre - there is no timeline for V6 Rhino/Mac at this point…

-Pascal

Thanks a lot!

I want to congratulate you for the excellent work McNeel does with Rhino.

In fact it becomes so great, that we think of switching to Rhino also for our production 2d-drawings, to accelerate our workflow.

We do that now with AutoCAD, but it is costly and has many limitiations. The only reason we don’t do that now is that we want to use our dynamic 2d-blocks. If Rhino does that, we wouldn’t have any reason to not switch.

I know Rhino was never intended to fully replace 2d cad software, but since its capabilities in this field are already quiet good, I personally would see that as a big step towards intelligent software environments.

3 Likes

Hey guys, just a quick comment on something that I’d like to see improved… I use _wirecut a lot, any chance of being able to use more than one curve to cut? ie., I can split a closed srf using two separate curves, I’d love to be able to wirecut using the same two curves…

Thanks guys,
Aaron

1 Like

Related to Aaron’s request, I’ve often wished for an option for the Wirecut command to generate and use a polyline, in addition to the existing line option.

I use and like the scripts from “Simon” in this this thread which will generate a polyline for splitting, but not for splitting and capping.

Maybe @Helvetosaur can make a version of his script SplitObjsWithLine3.py to use a polyline as input. (Incidentally, Mitch, Msg1 in that script still says “(infinite)”, although version 04.02.17 no longer uses infinite lines.)

I think it would be worth considering adding the functionality of these scripts (the ability to accept as input to be split/trimmed/capped not only polysurfaces, but surfaces and lines) to the Wirecut command.

Hi Aaron -

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-39776
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-39777

thanks,

-Pascal

Probably this issue has already been discussed, but is Rhino 6 going to count with a show edges continuity between surfaces? This feature would be really useful, I’m personally struggling a lot without it.

Many thanks.

Hi Zeus - it won’t be in V6 but still, more details about what it is you’d like would be useful for the future.

-Pascal

Pascal, I think this what @skyg was talking about when he said to use VSR surface analysis instead of zebra . A dialog box shows the continuity between surfaces at the beginning , middle and end of 2 surfaces to be matched. They are numerical values instead of zebra stripes. Hope that is what Zeus was meaning.—Mark