For Rhino V6 wishlist

I posted this in another thread, but it is more appropriate here.
Wish list item - ngon support when meshing (export to obj).

Ability to import a 3d studio max file. ( .max) for those that dont own or have access to 3d studio max.

Steve

1 Like

STEP import improvements.

Wish 1:
I’m not sure where the problem lies but I sometimes when I import STEP files they get all messy. It’s from both CATIA and Unigraphics that I know of. There seem to be some problem with the tolerances, often the files have the wrong tolerance set in them which result in untrimmed radiuses that end up as huge surfaces (looks like rings). If we take the unigraphic files through Catia first they look a little bit better.

I know this may be caused by the other softwares but if you could solve this it would make a lot of people happy.

Wish 2:
Make the file import/conversions multi core.

Edit: Spelling.

I’ve noticed this on occasion from solid works step export.

My Wish list for rhino v6:

Must haves:

1. When making any alterations in 3D to automatically update all technical packages.
  2. Timeline access points - Review history to access earlier stage of development to develop files in a different direction alternative to the first attempt.
  3. Interconnecting Parallel assemblies with different parts possibly through a flow chart methodology.
    Part/component/material Library.
    Automatically fix un-joined surfaces/wrongly trimmed/booleaned poly-surfaces into a complete “airtight” solid. Rhino to provide an “options select bar” to choose from that result to forced solutions ensuring airtight solids, or at least better highlight any issues alternative to using “ShowEdges”.
    Compatibility - Perfectly export/import rhino files into Solidworks.

Also:

1. Automatically Flatten and un-flatten sheet metal command. (Even for packaging, brass etc) and generate technical layout for laser/die cutting.
  2. Part 3D auto disassemble positioning for exploded perspective view render.

STEP import has been greatly improved in V6, Have you tried opening them in the V6 WIP? If they still don’t open correctly, we would need to see them. If you have permission to share any, please send them to tech@mcneel.com. We would keep the data strictly confidential.

1 Like

Aha fantastic news! No I haven’t, I’ll try it asap!

In order to accomplish this all previous file history has to be embedded within the file. This would make for huge files. I am a much bigger fan of iteratively doing a Save As and reverting as necessary.

I am not sure how this could be done. Rhino is a surface modeler and does the task the user asks it to perform, albiet sometimes it introduces errors into the files the user did not expect. So how does it know that something was wrongly trimmed or incorrectly booleaned? Given the way Rhino currently works its more of a decision on the User’s part what is correct rather than the softwares

Yeah I know, I just expressed my ideal new features for rhino v6.

A very big wish of mine for Rhino 6 is better/rewrite of Block creation and management:

1. at this point we can nest block inside another block, but please add future possibility to double click on the nested block and be able to edit in place inside the host block, possibly going down the hierarchy several times, kind of like Sketchup Components, something like this will really help large architecture models and generate “pseudo-parametric” editing abilities and hopefully shrink file sizes;
  2. blocks that brought in on a certain layer will disable the ability to delete that layer even if all instances of that block is moved to another layer;
  3. better block integration with grasshopper;
  4. the possibility to create dynamic blocks, kind of like AutoCAD and Revit, the benefit of this is huge;
  5. the possibility to turn on and view the block origin point and orientation axis so I don’t have to make placeholder myself;

A upgrade or rewrite of the layout system so people can generate simple drafting views naively in Rhino will also be much appreciated!

Thank you so much!

1 Like

^ Careful with dynamic blocks there. They are massive resource hogs.

Short version:

• SoftEditCrv: New Option : Distance = CurveLength

I often use SoftEditCrv to adjust (bend) curves along it’s entire length. In order to do that (let the whole curve bend from start) I need to first measure the length (using Length command) and then use that result as the value for the “Distance” parameter. In the picture below the length of the curve is 58 units.

It would be very helpful if the Distance parameter would include “CurveLength” as an option, instead of a fixed number (and also remembering this setting between uses, if set), and so Rhino could automagically calculate the actual Length. See picture below:

// Rolf

2 Likes

My wishlist is all surfacing related. I’d love Rhino to focus on catching up a bit with Alias in terms of surface quality. a few wishes:

• Chordal surface fillets, with G2 continuity. Currently I have to use a radius fillet, delete it then use a blend surf which doesn’t make much sense.
  • better match surf/align tool.
  • Draft/Flange tool with interactive length and draft handles and a surface normal mode (I think VSR has this)
    -Tubular offset tool. I want to select an edge, then tell rhino to tube a curve on surface at a specific radius.
    -Chamfer tool that allows for asymmetric rail distances
    -improvements in the point editing area. dragmode never seems to work, and the moveUNV tool should work with the mouse, not just mouseclicks.
  • in point editing I’d like a project CV command like in alias, which allows me to align a cv or hull to an adjacent cv/hull direction
  • edge analysis command. I’ve found the Gcon for curves, but there needs to be a tool like this for surface edges.
1 Like

Great demands Shane_Crozier!
After so many years of development it would take for a software like Rhino, devoted to modeling of free form surfaces.
The competition has already made great strides in this direction (even CAD/CAM parametric!).
Unfortunately I think this kind of requests will come to light in future editions of Rhino (the 7, the 8 …) therefore, calculates approximately five years of development for each release: you do two calculations …:wink:

More controled curves when using _IntercrvonOnSrf. Also it could exist a interpolate LINE on surface.

It would be amazing if v6 had features that would replace at least partially the loss of the T-Splines plug-in :-/

1 Like

I would find a toggle command for an ‘Exploded View’ - similar to whats on offer in Solidworks - verrrry useful. Especially when modelling larger assemblies.

Maybe that is more of a GH sort of thing?

Hours per day in total spent trying to locate a layer that an object is on in the layers palette.
WISH WITH ALL MY HEART…select object and have a spot or something appear beside layer its on in layer palette, maybe palette scrolls to place the layer in centre along with its indicator, maybe have a faint colour behind the text, or layer flashes, at the very least a dot appears !

In Photoshop ctrl click a raster item and the layer highlights, in Freehand select the item and the layer highlights.

all we have is a name appears at foot of screen, then a search through hundreds of layers for that name. prehistoric.

I have been compiling a list of why I need to see the layer indicated in the palette, add to it every time I feel I am doing so for a new reason, its several pages long, needs editing as some may be repeats.

maybe there are commands to run as a workaround for each reason, but to have one thing happen that solves remembering a hundred commands would be better. One needs that immediate visual find, instant answer, time matters. Its a no brainer and is the #1 thing that comes to mind if asked whats bad and needs improving.

Steve

1 Like

Wish,
line weights would get larger as zoom in on item, and thinner as zoom out, as in a graphics prog, as in reality !!!
as an option to turn on, and that a 1mm line weight occupies a 1mm high grid square, i.e they display their true thickness when print preview is on.

and an ability to have cmyk colours applied to curves and objects etc which are retained and displayed when exported into Affinity Designer or Photoshop etc.

Steve