For Rhino V6 wishlist

Yes, Technical display modes is still buggy with blocks if they are mirrored.
This has been reported many times during the last years.

It messes up the outline and what is hidden behind what.

Here is a new file I just made to illustrate the point.

dummy blocks tech disp bug.3dm (375.3 KB)

thanks holo to understand my point of view. But it is not only on Technical Mode… Other modes do the same. Like Shade or Render

I still have hope for Rhino Team find a fix for it.

Cheers.

@architex @jeff_hammond Where did we end up with the shadows & display modes discussion? I also want that nice white shaded look, however I got lost with all the different settings you tried out and talked out, and between the SketchUp and Rhino situation. Any chance you could share the last INI file you used? The “cleanest” one? And probably a bit of a summary on the best (or required) printing settings to achieve a nice output image?

Hello there.

• It is impossible to achieve great values for that purpose. Specially if you compare the same 3D file, both in Sketchup and Rhino… Although i notice that MAC BOOK in Rhino have better OpenGL support, so if you try tweak values there you will end to realize that is true. Mac book Pro have better smooth Shadows quality.

Otherwise… Yes i can share my INI files, but they are not in good quality. I think i test them everyday on my work. And yet, i never found a good solution that i could use for all my files.

The other point is… No matter what complex or simple work i made in Rhino, that Rhino itself will perform different in every work file… Is because the model are not near to (0,0,0) coordinates! or its because the model getting to much complex… or Even you change the sun values… Rhino always show different result… For me i keep saying that people from RHINO LAB should studie simple softwares like sketchup just to understand how it work on shadows. Because yes, it is true… for me Sketchup Shadows are really really great… and mostly, they became more spectacular when you export a PNG file with high values of Pixels (Width x High).

Resume… you can spend your day time ,everyday on tweaking shadows options that you will not getting the perfect results.

Here are some INI files. I hope you can tweak them for a better results then mines…

(this are the old ones when i start this conversation With (jeff_hammond)
01 - Wireframe.ini (10.4 KB)

(this are new ones from the project i am working right now)
02 - Shaded.ini (11.5 KB)

You should work them without any problems.
I wonder if new Rhino v6 will became more perfect on this options…

HERE ARE SOME PNG PREVIEWS

Rhino 5 SR12 examples

Sketchup Pro 2015 x64bits

Hello everyone.

I am here to indicate the solution for this shadows question.

As Pascal and Holo refer on this topic:
http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/rhino-shadows-poor-quality-with-no-accuracy/27076/13

The solutions found are in BUBBLE CLIPPING CAMERA shadows options - we need to put the bubble as the same size of the model. Then, shadows will result by far in better quality.

It would be nice to be able to hide panels on the workspace temporarily so there is more space on the screen for the modeling window. Something like the Tab key shortcut in Photoshop.

For the Rhino users are not familiar with Photoshop, as you press Tab the panels and tools are hidden until you have the the Viewport area in full screen. The Panels and Tool palettes are gradually restored as you press Tab again.

Hi Daly- see if FullScreendoes anything you like. Use the dash version of the command

-FullScreen

to access settings.

-Pascal

2 Likes

Yes, this command gives the feature I was looking for.
Added a shortcut for this in my aliases list.

A function like autocad’s OVERKILL would be nice. OVERKILL culls duplicates, trims overlaps and joins curves, etc. Options for tolerance, selection criteria and whether or not to ignore “viewport depth” and flatten the result (like make 2d),

-kg

Hi Kevin,
This request has been around for a looooong time. There is a Dup command but the objects have to be identical. How does AutoCAD deal with objects in 3D?
Nick

I know that there have been occasional requests for OVERKILL type functionality, but a search of this thread doesn’t turn up any results. SelDup obviously doesn’t work very well. Make2D has it’s use, but could be seriously improved upon.

AutoCAD’s overkill doesn’t extend to the z axis.

This one is new to me… thank you, Pascal!

Hello forum,
i would suggest an ability to disable some gumball features - such as block/hide Rotate arcs when i dont need them.
Thus you could implement 2D scaling which is sometimes useful. Or, add a hotkey for using plane marks.

And, i’d like a command to collapse an edge to point, relulting singularity. I belive it’s not too complcated)

I reiterate the one thing that must be done, and should have been fixed in V5 after it was flagged up, as it was fine in V4, that is to stop layers taking up new locations in a busy layers palette, unless one moves a new layer up with the triangle arrow buttons ater creating it, it will then move somewhere else. User having to try and find where a layer has gone to, sheeesh ! A pro CAD prog simply cannot allow such to exist.
This is a killer bug, layers going places you never placed them.

If there is an update fix to this, I want it now. Its been existing for too long has this.

Steve

What I do for this is I change the sizes to like 1 so that they are pretty much not there. I agree with what you are saying though.

Hello- use SetPt for this, with an edge selected. Does that do what you want?
Hmm - no, it does not, I see.

2D scaling from the Gumball is implemented in the next version of Rhino.

-Pascal

Assigning 0 to arc thickness makes them disappear) thanks for workaround!

Kind of Weld command, but for surface points - to fix offset results. “Including but not limited to” ©
:slight_smile:

Well, if you turn on points, SetPt will do what you want but it does not work on subselected edges to create a singularity, is all - I don’t know if that helps.

-Pascal

1 Like