Font Substyles Bug?

@Pascal,
I tried to install font Nudista, Helvetica Neue Std and Pro and neither of the special font member of these families are not visible on mac. Regular font only. It seems to me as newly installed font families were not supported.

Hi @Pascal,
can you reproduce the same behaviour with user-installed fonts?

@ encephalon, can you observe this with user-installed fonts?

yup, and diving into this topic once more scrutinizing one of my favourite fonts, i suddenly had a hunch.

it seems from all the fonts i have checked only the open type fonts OTF are causing these problems and only show the first main font. also the font you are using in that other thread is an otf by the way.

@lowell could you pls reopen this isue? this is driving us nuts and eh snickers, the interface is basically completely or lets say to the extent of the OTF unusable in this state…

i dont want to pin it down to OTF but this is what these few which had the same issue had in common. all ttf fonts seem to work properly even though how they are presented in one long list is pretty insane either to be frank…

i mean the the main issue is here that its so messed up that i try to keep away from changing fonts at all, which is rather fatal since i need that for working with plans and drawings very often.

Hmmm, are you sure about the OTF? I’ve tried like 3 ttf fonts (Neue Haas Grotesk, Roboto…) and the result is the same. No substyle of the family visible in Rhino…

For me, none of additionally installed fonts works, sadly. :sleepy:

hm you are right, roboto ttf does not work either… so maybe it still depends on the naming.

!!! emergency !!!

guys this is absolutely imperative that you fix this. right now i need to use a corporate font which has only 3 styles: bold regular and light , and light does not work. i am basically screewed using rhino 7 regarding fonts.

i mean it is already awkward enough how the fonts work and how to select hidden substyles but if simple fonts do not even work at all i would call that a catastrophe.

i can pm the font if somebody wants i can not share it public but please this is really breaking it.

@lowell @pascal @stevebaer sorry you keep bothering but this is really an important part of the documentation and design process, can somebody please comment on what is going on?

1 Like

for what I can tell fonts work as expected. I came here through the other thread in which you say you’re using Big Sur. Im still on Catalina 10.15.7

@Gijs that exact font is one that works yes try universe, or something more contemporary like mark pro. some styles do not show all substyles in that list you posted. to get to them is very difficult and mostly dont work then. you can select them in the show fonts panel but they would not activate in the viewport.

also some of the helvetica neue font families do not work. some are OTF fonts some are TTF it is not concludable what the problem is.

edit: for instance Frutiger or Futura are also very standard fonts, none of the substyles show up in the text proerties and half of the substyles dont work at all. it activates in the font panel and in the properties text panel but not in the view port

here i tried with Frutiger

oh and it neither worked on Mojave nor on Big Sur. i dont have much hope that it will work on Catalina which am going to downgrade to now despite all that.

these are the one that Show up win the list and they seem to work:

I found a free for personal use font with this name (OTF) and I can confirm that this one only shows one font. I don’t have Rhino 5 installed anymore on this Mac, but in V6 it also doesn’t work.

the mark pro is a very popular celebrated contemporary font from a couple years ago. there may be some frutiger families or other families i named that work but there are even more that do not work…

all these work in V5. i understand there has been some radical change and there was also some bug but it has been checked as fixed when it unfortunately still is an issue on mac at least.

when i started that topic in november last year i experienced this on V6, but it has not changed so i keep ranting…

guys, since the development/feature list for V8 is currently ongoing can please please please please somebody have a look at this issue?

@dan is there anything you can add? nobody seems to comment on it further, fonts are way too important to keep us in the dark, is there anything you are planing?

I cannot reproduce this. I suspect that I don’t have enough information to reproduce this. Perhaps if we had detailed steps.

thanks dan for having a look.

here i am using googles free Roboto, as you can see in the list below the substyles do not even show up in the list, only Roboto and Roboto Condensed which is a complete different Family

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-01 um 09.58.06

when i mark and right click the text in the text properties then click show fonts

the fonts show up there

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-01 um 10.26.33

clicking on Thin for instance shows up in the text properties

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-01 um 10.01.13

but does not reflect in the viewport. below the names should be displayed in each substyle, but it only shows either regular or bold.

here how it should look like

the problem exhibits also in many other font famlies which i can not share in public. in many fonts regular, light and bold work while others not, in one example for instance Andes, all work except one. i can share more fonts in pm if you need. but Roboto is a pretty normal regularly and officially used font so that is a good starting point i assume.

FontStyleBug.3dm (2.7 MB)

roboto.zip (1.3 MB)

A little technical explanation.

Categories like Times New Roman, Courier, etc. are “Typefaces.”

Categories like Italic, Bold, Roman, etc. are “Type Styles.”

Nouns like Times New Roman Italic, Courier Bold, etc. are “Fonts”. Each font has a separate definition file (but there is a system for packing fonts together).

Applications attempt to simply the handling of fonts in various ways. It is common to present the user with the Typeface. E.g. Word

Rhino appears to do the same but the only “option” is to select the Bold style.

hi @Alain i coincidentally saw that you had fixed an issue with a specific font on mac here the tracker unfortunately there are more fonts which do not show up completely for instances googles roboto i have posted above. this issue is bugging us for a very very long time and many essential fonts are not working correctly can you please have a look once more and see if there is anything you guys can do?

Hi,
That fix was a hack for that specific font and it would be tedious to fix each possible font case by case in the same way. It was part of a discovery process to come up with a generic fix that we are working on. It’s not as simple as it seems to fix but we are working on it.

hey! that is already so good to hear that it is being targeted, this topic at least at this point here unfortunately ran a bit sisyphos. is there a public youtrack available?

also if you want a few fonts to test i could provide you with a few other than the google roboto. please let me us know if we could be of any further help, i am sure all of the particpants here would love seeing this being resolved.

This issue is logged here

1 Like