Folding in Rhino

Hi all,

Is it possible to import a file into Rhino7 from ArtiosCad or similar software and fold the creases in Rhino? an example would be folding a milk carton, or a box, tray etc.

Thank you and I appreciate your feedback.

Stylianos

Hi Stylianos - I am not sure what you mean - are you getting 2d patterns as the starting point?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, Yes, i would get 2D drawings with scores and knives and i would need to fold on the creases to create the 3D.

Thank you

Stylianos

Hi Stylianos - I would say it might be tedious but if all the surfaces are planar and the edges are stright, it should certainly be possible - do you have an (simple) example?

-Pascal

Pascal

A simple example would be of the attached. The 2d drawings folded on the creases create the dump bin on the right.

Thank you

Stylianos

Good morning @pascal,

Did you by any chance have any time to see the example I sent? What I am basically looking for is a way to select specific lines and input command fold at “X” degrees. In the above example, I would select the red lines and tell the software fold 90 and the caps would be made, etc. to create the bin.

thank you

Stylianos.

Hello - I am happy to try to help, but I really need a file to work with.

-Pascal

Hi @pascal,

Thank you so much, i appreciate it. I have attached a generic tray built in CAD. The black lines are the cut lines and the green lines are the score lines, which we want to fold.

Thank you

Stylianos
Generic Tray.dwg (18.7 KB)

Hi Stylianos - it is certainly possible, and easy but tedious, to do this ‘by hand’ in Rhino using Rotate or Rotate3d and it would be possible to automate a certain amount, perhaps, in a script, but I do not see how to get around the need for the user to select the parts (lines), that need to be rotated, or made into surfaces, each time.
You can start with CurveBoolean > Ouput=Surfaces, CombineRegions=No and then click AllRegions - that will at least get you all the faces, then you can rotate them into position more easily than selecting the curves every time.

Not too bad as a workflow.

-Pascal

Thank you @pascal, I appreciate your feedback.
I will start with the same tray and then test on something more complicated.

Have a great rest of our day

Stylianos