Flying fish - steam powered

Well, every now and then it has to be a little crazier. A little steampunk is the order of the day. Fish Body - SubD - Rest Nurbs. Have fun looking for details.
greeting
Rainer

12 Likes

This is a great dirigible concept. Very cool.

This vessel looks like it just rolled sailed out of the fabrication line, so shiny and clean :slight_smile:

What did you use to render this with?

Hello nathan,
yes, looks like a new shiny coin - but that’s because I haven’t yet found the right textures to trim it to old - or in other words - I still have to try a little how you can use the textures - there I still have my little problems, but I’ve only been using Rhino for 3 months - I still have to deal with them. The part is rendered with Rhino - very simple lighting concept - only sky light 0.4 - 0.8 light color light gray - and a few small emitting parts - lanterns, 3 small fluorescent tubes in the engine room, on the chandelier there are about 1200 small emitting spheres.
greeting
Rainer

You can use the PBR materials to get weathered look on metals. Even already just adding a roughness texture could work wonders. If you are using the Rhino Metal materials you can change their type to Physically Based Material. You now have access to the different PBR channels that you can texture. In your case I’d concentrate on roughness texture, and why not even a base color texture that adds dirt and such. For scratches you could use a normal map, but I’d leave that for later. That is going to be useful probably only for close-ups of such surfaces.

If you don’t have to change the spheres anymore I’d do the following steps:

1. select the spheres of the chandelier
  2. _ExtractRenderMesh _SelNone _SelLast _Join

You can now hide the 1200 separate objects and leave the one mesh that represents your chandelier. This should make render startup faster, and help also with the rendering a bit.

addendum: when you do get to the point of playing with textures I’d stay away from procedural textures (noise, fbm, granite, etc) and stick to bitmap textures. Your model looks quite complex. At present adding procedural textures would cause potentially long baking times of such procedurals.

1 Like

Hello nathan,
Thank you for your tips - I still have a lot of space for experiments ahead of me - but it will take a while before I can really deal with them.
greeting
Rainer

No need to hurry. And remember to ask here in the forum for help when you get stuck with setting up your materials. Enough users who can help :slight_smile: