Fluid Dynamics Applied Concept/Shapes for Architecture

Hello All Members,
I trying to learn fluid dynamics applied architecture concept shapes. I know all these are generated/ modeled using Sub-D modelling environment but I am here know the theory behind it. How with certain parameter these concept are evolved. I heard like using flow lines, vortex these can be created. Anyone have any idea about these fluid architecture concepting rhino grasshopper.
download

Big thanks.
-M

Any update friends

You can try to implement a fluid dynamic simulation for yourself:
See https://mikeash.com/pyblog/fluid-simulation-for-dummies.html

Or you could use fluid/particle simulations part of software like Blender or Cinema4d.

Of course there is professional software like Ansys CFD or RhinoCFD.

But this all doesn’t help you in trying to get shapes out of it. Have you ever heard of a car or airplane design autogenerated by a modified cfd? It is the other way around, you create a shape and you test its aerodynamic using a cfd analysis.

Anything else is a hoax. Don’t trust these things too much.

1 Like

Give this a look, it might get you started:

1 Like

Gracias. Vector field is the key element for this idea. But after creating Vector Field and piping it I am unable to catch the idea of turning that into a floor plate, roof attached example images. Is there any tip or idea for turning this into floorplates or concept mass.

2 Likes

I am not sure what you mean? You mean in Rhino you want to create Floorplates and a Mass?

I really don’t believe they directly create a shape out of the flowlines. And flowlines are no CFD, but a CFD Analysis can output flowlines. You can create this also differently. In the old forum, there is also a very similar effect created, based on a particle tracing a path of minimal curvature change on a curved surface using Runge-Kutta integration. This is really just a visual effect than a meaningful analysis. I cannot find the link anymore, I was translating David Ruttens VB script into C# there…

They often just create these flowlines and then they model a shape based on that. Sometimes they pretend to do things like this auto-generated, but as I said, it is often not quite true. Furthermore, even if it is from a CFD simulation, there is no validation that the simulation is correct.
I propose to just model a shape like this manually using sub-d and then just fake anything else. :slight_smile:
There is also plugin called FLOW, but you can also use the default magnetic field lines.