Fluid Dynamics Applied Concept/Shapes for Architecture

Hello All Members,
I trying to learn fluid dynamics applied architecture concept shapes. I know all these are generated/ modeled using Sub-D modelling environment but I am here know the theory behind it. How with certain parameter these concept are evolved. I heard like using flow lines, vortex these can be created. Anyone have any idea about these fluid architecture concepting rhino grasshopper.
download

Big thanks.
-M

2 Likes

Any update friends

You can try to implement a fluid dynamic simulation for yourself:
See https://mikeash.com/pyblog/fluid-simulation-for-dummies.html

Or you could use fluid/particle simulations part of software like Blender or Cinema4d.

Of course there is professional software like Ansys CFD or RhinoCFD.

But this all doesn’t help you in trying to get shapes out of it. Have you ever heard of a car or airplane design autogenerated by a modified cfd? It is the other way around, you create a shape and you test its aerodynamic using a cfd analysis.

Anything else is a hoax. Don’t trust these things too much.

3 Likes

Give this a look, it might get you started:

1 Like

Gracias. Vector field is the key element for this idea. But after creating Vector Field and piping it I am unable to catch the idea of turning that into a floor plate, roof attached example images. Is there any tip or idea for turning this into floorplates or concept mass.

4 Likes

I am not sure what you mean? You mean in Rhino you want to create Floorplates and a Mass?

I really don’t believe they directly create a shape out of the flowlines. And flowlines are no CFD, but a CFD Analysis can output flowlines. You can create this also differently. In the old forum, there is also a very similar effect created, based on a particle tracing a path of minimal curvature change on a curved surface using Runge-Kutta integration. This is really just a visual effect than a meaningful analysis. I cannot find the link anymore, I was translating David Ruttens VB script into C# there…

They often just create these flowlines and then they model a shape based on that. Sometimes they pretend to do things like this auto-generated, but as I said, it is often not quite true. Furthermore, even if it is from a CFD simulation, there is no validation that the simulation is correct.
I propose to just model a shape like this manually using sub-d and then just fake anything else. :slight_smile:
There is also plugin called FLOW, but you can also use the default magnetic field lines.

1 Like

thanks Tom. I connected to the team they said this

and this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0WXNsmfRRo&feature=youtu.be Is possible to make 3d field in GH

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vector+field

Its just a (multidimensional) grid where each point has a vector. A particle moving through such a field will be affected based on its location in that field. Of course its dead simple to implement that in Grasshopper. But of course ,you need to add time and this when it becomes tricky for GH. You could hack it together with Anemone or Kangaroo(?), but its way easier just to scripting that.

But as I said, the magnetic flowlines you see in native GH are basically just the same. It traces particles moving through a vector field and returns you the flowlines. As I said, the Flow plugin is a more generic version of it. But if you looking for a particle simulation with nice animations you need to script this or you need to use another tool.

As that guy said, the creation of the actual geometry was just based on the traced flowlines. So its more an fluid effect. Years ago I did something similar just using Particle Emitter in Cinema4d. You don’t need to reimplent the wheel just to get fluid flowlines. But you should not pretend to give it a meaning.

If you don’t know how to do all this, simply draw these flowlines to make them look alike. This ends up being the same.

1 Like

I will try and update here thanks for the insight & playlist. I love to do with gh.

1 Like

Hi Channelmisai, how is the progress on this workflow so far? I would love to see your researches. Thank you.

This is going to give Von Karmann nightmares!

1 Like

Ansys discovery live can generate iso surface, but there is no option to export it, maybe it is possible with Ansys Fluent

Didn’t use it since some years but Paraview is surely the tool to use to analyse simulations results
https://www.paraview.org

Ansys discovery live is much faster and show the result in realtime but don’t export any results.