Flowing an object around another object with limited variance

Hi all,

I am trying to morph a shoe last mesh around a foot scan mesh to create a custom shoe last (see photo). I have already used the Flow command to morph the foot into a shoe last shape for better shape comparison. I used Scale1D in a couple directions on the last mesh to fit it around the foot. However, the ideal option would be to flow the shoe last along numerous axes that stretch different patches of the mesh, because with Scale1D I’m finding that the toe box is gets too wide by the time the heel area fits around the foot.
Most of the info I see online focuses on flowing objects directly along surfaces. In this case, I want to preserve the general last shape, so flowing the last directly on the shoe surface would not work.

I feel like what I need is a surface morphing tool which allows me to provide some type of parameter that controls how dramatically the shoe last mesh will morph to match the shoe (i.e. limited variance in the curves).

Thanks for the help! Attached is the Rhino file I was working with.

Travis_custom-last_R-1.3dm (1.8 MB)

1 Like

Hello - you might be able to get somewhere with cage editing - here, with a curve, a surface - a regular cage…

AdjustLast3.3dm (1.0 MB) AdjustLast2.3dm (1.1 MB) AdjustLast1.3dm (1.1 MB)

-Pascal

1 Like

@pascal Thanks. Your help is always so quick and effective. I’ll look into these options! Did you just use CageEdit?

Hello- CageEdit, yes - with a curve and a surface already in place as the control objects for two and using a bounding box cage at default settings for the other - some version of that will probably be the most effective, since the thing needs to move in so many directions.

-Pascal

For the full bounding box method, did you select the last as the captive object and then the foot as the control object and then just dragged the small line that appears? I’m a bit confused on how you actually created the deformation.

Hello - select the object to deform (the last) start CageEdit and then use BoundingBox etc. The captive is the thing you want to edit - I understood this to be the last, and the scan of the foot is not changed, correct?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, and yes you are correct. But for some reason no deformation occurs on its own. It just creates a weird line segment on the foot. And when I drag points of that line segment the last goes crazy and stretches around

So, I think you’ve made a cage control object from the line. Start with just the last selected - run CageEdit - it will know that the selected object is the captive and present the next set of options -

-Pascal

1 Like

Ahhh I see. The foot isn’t an input, I still have to manually scale the object, right?
Definitely better than Scale1D!