Flooding level simulation

The slider controls the physical height of the water level. I moved your model to the origin to avoid numeric inaccuracies, but that will have changed the actual elevation of your landscape. Adjust your slider to have a range which makes sense given your actual landscape mesh.

I have some questions about it:

1. How you define the “Influx” parameter?
  2. Is it possible to color the building which is inside the flooding area? Or just color the flooding region?

The Influx is a list of points where water is guaranteed to be. You’d pick locations where an existing river flows for example. From these locations, the flooding starts and only spills over into another region if the level reaches high enough.

Technically speaking bitmaps aren’t really the best approach to this, as there is no very natural mapping from elevation to colour. You sort of have to hack it into the greyscale value of the image, which severely limits the accuracy (only 256 distinct levels). It’s also possible to store the elevation as a pure ARGB integer, which gives you millions of distinct levels, but it makes the image impossible to parse by eye.
A much better data structure would be a number-map, where you can encode the elevation directly as a decimal number. I’ve added such a data type to Grasshopper 2.0, but it is not available in GH1.

Once you have the bitmap with the pink flooding regions though, you could import it into the Image Sampler object and see if any of the house points are on a pink pixel, or you could output the bitmap form the script component and create a second script which does the sampling. Just more code.

1 Like

If you’re looking for a “real” hydrological simulation model, this is also an option:

That means that the influx point is the starting point of water runoff, and to determine whether the next pixel can reach or not?

My understanding is using the bitmap is hard to consider the obstacles and hence it can’t test the mitigation plans?

Anyway, thank you very much. Seems that it is still a long way to go since I have no background in coding and just started to get familiar with Grasshopper.

-HC

Hi @AndersDeleuran

It seems that the component is not working in Rhino 6.

It uses several dependencies on the backend (i.e. that you need to install etc). Please refer to the documentation available on the GitHub (i.e. scroll down).

Almost all the external elaboration link cannot be connected. Such as the following link.

(For a more elaborate installation guide; please visit our https://kongsgaard.eu/install-livestock.html)

The link is not working =/

Hi there, doesnt seem this link you shared is working? is there another available? https://kongsgaard.eu/install-livestock.html

You can have look at the GitHub link above. There is a release but the project appears to be dead:

1 Like

@AndersDeleuran Thanks! yeah seems that all the links to installation instructions or sample files are gone. Do you happen to know about a similar plugin?

Afraid not, you can try pinging @Christian_Kongsgaard here or mailing him directly and see if he has some ideas.

Hi guys,

Thanks for bringing my old plugin up!
Honestly, I don’t think the plugin is working anymore :confused:

The plugin were a wrapper around a Python library called CMF, which deliveres the hydraulic functionality.

You might be able to create your own wrapper instead of using Livestock.

2 Likes

Hi,

The link is not working.
And I suggest to try SWIM hydraulic simulation model if you want to take into account more factors such as soil/ drainage system effect. (Or if you would just like to consider the terrain effect, rhino/ GIS might be more simplier)

Link for SWIM model is attached here for your information - The Soil and Water Integrated Model (SWIM) User Manual

1 Like