Flattening car Bumper looking for solution/idea to start

HI
** I have a Jaguar XF bumper from 2010. It is 3D scanned and I would like to create a pattern for applying the protective film. I have the problem in areas with a large curvature. Normally I should apply a cut in the respective area so as not to have an overlap of material. My problem is that I can’t figure out where to make the cut in the circled area in order to get the best possible coverage later.
When flattening, the left side and the top side come forward. In that area I will have an overlap of material. For this reason, I have to remove the respective surplus from the corner directly on the MESH.

I’m looking for a way to possibly redraw the respective surface and somehow measure how much the respective overlap is. What I’m wondering is how I could determine how much should be cut.

May be surfacing that part and somehow pull forward the material to simulate the overlapping, make the relief cut after than projecting back to the mesh it is posible?
something like that

Thank you for your help**

Far from expert on this, but have you simply thought that it may need cut(s) with traingluar insertions from a flat print / film. Have you tested manually with paper, to see how much you need to cut out and add?

Technically it would come down to tolerance, the smaller the tolerance, the closer to a possibly infinite measurement that would need to be made to get precise fit.

Can think of a possible roundabout way to do it in grasshopper using K-Means clustering to sort curvature and see where greatest curvature deviance is and go from there. Sounds like a fun day or so to work through it.

I have only the scanned part. With the paper is a good solution and it works if i digitse after. I have other car bumpers to flatten to :slight_smile:

Flattening double curved surfaces is not an easy thing to do. One plug-in specialized in doing that is ExactFlat

We bought the Exactflat. First, I have to make the relief cuts then i can use the exactflat.

Hi @Boncz_Istvan,

There are a couple ways to handle this depending on the type of film you’re working with (elastic vs. non-elastic films). If your film is stretchy then you can simply use one of our cutting tools (such as the plane cutter, _EFPlaneCut) to create a dart in the film in in the area where you would normally make a slit. You can also apply global target strain to your pattern to give it a tight fit reducing fingers when applying the pattern onto the vehicle.

Our support team has quite a bit of experience working with paint protection film and would be happy to assist you. Feel free to contact us at support@exactflat.com and tell us a bit more about your project and we’ll do our best to help you out.

-Luke