Flat file conversion to Rhino a paid service

(Wall) #1

I need to convert flat paper naval architectural files into Rhino or CAD, I’d like to know a service that can do this?

What kind of naval architecture and which materials, fabrication methods?

(IVELIN PEYCHEV) #3

What is the question?

• are you looking for methodology, approach when digitizing old ship drawings?
  • are you looking to hire someone to do it for you?

(Wall) #4

Hi Jess, we need to build small 1:96 scale a model of a modern research vessel, and have plain paper drawings which show its lines, body plan and profile (3 pages). I’ve had them scanned into pdfs, so these can be sent over email.

(Wall) #5

Hi – we have three plain paper pages (pdf) of naval architectural drawings of a modern era research vessel and need to build a 1:96 scale model of it. So, I need a person or service to convert this into a Rhino or other CAD files.

R. Michael Wall, Director

American Marine Model Gallery, Inc.

Gallery: 20 Pleasant Street

Mail: PO Box 6102

Shipping: 16 Ames Drive

Gloucester, MA 01930

978-281-1166

www.shipmodel.com

(David Cockey) #6

Developing a 3D CAD model from paper plans is not a simple “file conversion”. Rather it is building a model in digital space. Just like building a physical model the skill and time needed depend on the requirements of the final model.

What level of detail is needed in the CAD model? Only the overall shape of the hull and possibly deckhouses? Additional major features? Or all exterior detail?

What will the CAD model be used for? CNC milling or 3D printing of the hull?

(Wall) #7

Thank you for your reply David, my comments below.

Hi,
I’ve done this for a ancient motor yacht from 1954. There is a big chance that you’ll have to redraw completely the lines. This is not a conversion but a entire rebuild.

(IVELIN PEYCHEV) #9

I moved the thread to the appropriate category.

(Wall) #10

Thank you for your interest in helping me with this potential project. As it turns out, the 3-D model making company now indicates they can do the conversion of the plans into 3-D so I would not need your help. Hopefully something can be done in the future…

Kindly, Michael

R. Michael Wall, Director

American Marine Model Gallery, Inc.

Gallery: 20 Pleasant Street

Mail: PO Box 6102

Shipping: 16 Ames Drive

Gloucester, MA 01930

978-281-1166

www.shipmodel.com