Flamingo nXt: Linear and area light make point spots

Hi @scott,

have you an idea why linear and area light make in Flamingo nXt point spots. Here an example from my customer:

https://www.flexicad.com/service/forum/index.php/topic,8559.msg13992.html#msg13992

Thanks

Michael
www.flexiCAD.com

Hi Michael,

I tried to reproduce this issue to help but I’ve been unable to make the linear light create a spot light appearance or an uneven result. I saw the user’s screenshot on your forum but didn’t see a 3dm file. If they have one they can share with us please let me know. My only hunch is that maybe the linear light is partially obstructed by another object?

Hi Brian,

thank you for your time. I will try to get a 3dm-file.

Take care

Michael
www.flexiCAD.com

Hi @BrianJ,

I have got the file. Where to upload the 20 MByte file?

Thanks

Michael
www.flexiCAD.com

It happens when the linear light is long, more than 3-4 feet or 1 meter. Also when the light is too close to a wall. The latter and maybe both are happening here. There aren’t enough samples sent out from linear lights. Another issue that’s been around since 2011

See attached simple example and render (10 passes). The lighting isn’t smooth even at 100 passes.
linear_test.3dm (55.9 KB)

Hi Greg,

thank you for your feedback. So there is no fix at the moment, right?

Thanks

Michael
www.flexiCAD.com

Changing the longer linear lights into many shorter lights will help. Making them, say 100mm long, will improve the smoothness, depending on distance from the wall - they just need to test what length will work for their setup.

Edit: @Michael_Meyer, also the farther the light is from the wall the better, so the farthest that can work will help, too.

www.rhino3d.com/upload

Yes, this is what I’d recommend as well. I’ve filed this here too for future reference… http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/FL-6017

Here’s your scene with the light moved slightly away from the surface and rendered to 70 samples.

Have you tried the nxt 5.0 WIP yet? It’s being worked on now so it’s a good time to give feedback.

Hi Brian,

I have uploaded the file.

Thanks

Michael
www.flexiCAD.com

Sure, it just looks like the customer doesn’t have much room to move out from the wall in their scene.

I have not, I moved on to Vray for most renders. Is the new Hybrid engine mentioned in the notes the only option now?

Nope, there’s still default and path trace.

Thanks, might check it out.