First time seen Rhino error (layers affected)

This is the first time I have encountered this bug/error and I have no clue of why it might have happened.
Rhino user for 15 years, working on Rhino8. I closed the file, restarted, opened it again and for some mysterious reason all objects in the file had switched layers.
It seems every object has jumped to the layer above on the layer stack.
It affected every type of object, curves, surfaces, blocks and mesh.

The file thumbnail shows like the layer colors are correct but then when I open the file it is a complete mess.

Really, I am speechless.

Did anybody ever experienced this, any suggestion of an easy fix?

Thanks you all

Run _SystemInfo and paste the result in a new post

1 Like

Rhino 8 SR7 2024-5-17 (Rhino 8, 8.7.24138.15431, Git hash:master @ 03702f889bdef32626af4bca510b5e8a85666d38)
License type: Commercial, build 2024-05-17
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 11 (10.0.22631 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 64GB)
.NET 7.0.0

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [99% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics (Intel) Memory: 128MB, Driver date: 1-18-2024 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA RTX 4000 Ada Generation Laptop GPU (NVidia) Memory: 11GB, Driver date: 4-11-2024 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 552.22
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-11-2024
Driver Version: 31.0.15.5222
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 11514 MB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Enscape\Enscape.Rhino.Plugin-net48\Enscape.Rhino8.Plugin.dll “Enscape.Rhino8.Plugin” 0.0.24103.837
C:\Users\gbeit\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\8.0\Plug-ins\D5Conv (e0d5e210-02f6-4ee9-a2b0-1675e225d958)\0.12.0.0028\Rhino 8\D5Conv.rhp “D5 Sync for Rhino”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.7.24138.15431
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.7.24138.15431
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.7.24138.15431
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\MeshCommands.rhp “MeshCommands” 8.7.24138.15431
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.7.24138.15431
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 8.7.24138.15431
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Hi Gorka -

This is not something I’ve heard about.
Is this something that you can reproduce with a new file?
If so, is it also reproducible when the 3rd party plug-ins are disabled?
-wim

1 Like

It is a very bizarre behavior.
I tried uninstalling all plug-ins and the issue persist.

Only the file in question seems affected. It is saved on a Dropbox folder.
I have also checked previous saved versions of the file and I get the same error since my last save yesterday. However, while the file was open in my laptop (on sleep mode overnight) this morning there was no issue and I was working on it just fine.
Meaning, only when I closed Rhino and reopened the problem appeared, and it looks like when I saved the file yesterday the error was there (since the previous version of the file in Dropbox has the same issue)
My only guess is that there has been some writing error, but I have no clue since this is the first time ever I see this.
Hope the explanation helps.
Thank you for the help,
G

Forgot to say, I also tried opening it on a different PC with the same result.

This sounds like some freak error with the layer lookup table where all the layer indexes got shifted by 1. As the layer is an attribute of the object and it finds the object’s layer based on the layer index, it would do something like that. First time I remember anyone reporting this.

I would say that there is no way to return the file itself to its original state once it has been saved that way - except for maybe running a custom script that shifts all the layer indices in the layer table by +/-1 (I don’t know which direction so one would have to test).

If there is any way you can repeat this then we know we have a persistent bug. If not, it may end up as just another one of those gremlins…

1 Like

Probably that is what it is.
I might just have to re arrange it manually.
Unless somebody has a clue of how that sort of script could work (no experience with this)

I will report if I ever get the same issue again.

Thanks anyways guys
G

This might work to fix the file - try it on a copy!

ShiftObjLayerIndexUp.py (515 Bytes)

Actually, you might need this one (goes the other way)

ShiftObjLayerIndexDown.py (515 Bytes)

1 Like

Hey Helvetosaur thank you for the help. Unfortunately the script did not work.
Rhino goes very unresponsive but after a good wait it does move things around, however not all objects go to their previous layer. Some strange things happen, new layers get created… etc.
It might be that the original layer states were slightly different or something like that.
Anyway thank you for the try!