Final product process

Hello fellow Rhino users. I’ve 3D printed this wheel and I’m curious to know why this becomes my final product despite the file being a detailed wheel. Any insight is appreciated.

I don’t know what printer this was printed on (looks like a powder-based printer from the image) but might it be that your mesh has open edges or something that are confusing the printer software into thinking there are fills where there should be voids? Does the printer software allow you to preview the layers it intends to print?

Maybe try re-importing the .stl file back into Rhino and inspecting it visually in rendered display mode and with FlatShade checked… Also check the re-imported .stl for naked edges with the command ShowEdges>NakedEdges (check for non-manifold edges as well).

If you are doing a lot of 3D printing, you might like some 3rd party software designed to check and fix .stls such as NetFabb.

–Mitch

1 Like

My guess of the moment is there are some dodgy trims on the NURBS object - though I’d expect that to have been visible as weird render meshes in a shaded view… so I don’t know. If you cannot sort it out with Mitch’s suggestions, please saveSmall, zip and upload the Rhino model to tech@mcneel.com via www.rhino3d.com/upload.

thanks,

-Pascal

1 Like

Thank you @Helvetosaur I’m looking into this now. It’s printed on a ProJet660 so, yes, powder based.

Thank you @pascal. Unfortunately, this file has only provided meshes which is obviously harder to work with, expecially for me as more of a beginner. I’ll update my findings.

Well, I’m sure they have improved the software since, but I seem to recall that old versions of Z-Corp software would fill everything if it found open triangles…

Also as mentioned earlier, beware of non-manifold edges. .STL’s are just triangle soup, and the printer software tries to put all those together and create a closed shell. Non-manifold edges - where more than two polygons share the same edge - make it difficult sometimes to determine what is “inside” and what is “outside” when the mesh is sliced into polygon regions for each layer of material. Thus, the software could guess wrong and fill a part that should be a void.

–Mitch

is there a simple process to fixing naked edges rather than fixing edge by edge? this file is filled with naked edges.

You might check out the mesh repair wizard in Rhino - type MeshRepair. It may get you where you want to go, or part way there at least. As I mentioned earlier, if you are going to do this often, a dedicated mesh repair tool like Netfabb is indispensable (IMHO).

–Mitch

1 Like

@Helvetosaur 3DEdit is the software that comes along with the ProJet. It does have a repair model option but I always end up with no model left at all by the time all “repairs” have been made lol. I’m going to look into the MeshRepair option now. I will also now look into Netfabb. It was not my original plan to work with such a complicated mesh and this wheel is just one part of a whole car that i’m convinced was just rendered very badly. Thank you for your patience. I am learning many things through this whole process.

I feel your pain. Editing a bad model to get it ready for 3D printing can be nightmarish.

You could also try Rhino3DPrint - there’s a 30 day free trial but after that it’s relatively expensive. However, it does run right inside Rhino. Some of the auto fix routines are very good. Others still need some development. --Mitch