Fillet with text

hi
is there a way to create a fillet on text object?
i’m trying to create a fillet on this letter, but I find myself frustrated by encountering failure :thinking:
is there a way?

thank’s
:grin:m.3dm (1.5 MB)

Hi @al_davidson

Fonts are, more often than not, poorly designed in terms of tangency, kinks in the curves, overlapping curves etc. A bit of manual cleaning is needed - see attached file. I’ve taken the outline of the M and rebuilt all the curves, so that the main segments are single curves. Then fillet works as it should. Do note, that the very deep “valley” of this M limits how much of a fillet you can add, without somewhat ruining the readability of the letter.

HTH, Jakob

m.3dm (1.2 MB)

HTH, Jakob

Here is a sub-d option to the explanation by @Normand. I never do text in nurbs anymore but if you don`t have a sub-d plugin for Rhino then his advice is the way to go in nurbs.

I do a lot of text for jewellery. At this size is it for jewellery? If so and you intend to direct cast then as you are doing filleting the text is a must. Secondly if you intend to attach the base of the text to something angling the side walls aids metal flow and reduces the risk of investment break down during casting.

T-splines is what I use for this type of work. I store all the text I make in a library and reuse it if I can. Using the outline of your font I extruded straight down with the t-splines gumballl. I would angle that normally for the reasons above but have left it straight for this.

Next I extruded using the scale tool in t-splines the top edge horizontally. Tweek the edges until they were all inside. Then you do the same for the bottom but this time the edges outside. Do two or more extrusions if you want better transitions. For what I do I am not too anal about everything being cad perfect so 1 is good for me…

Next I duplicated the t-spline object for editing later if needed, converted one of the copies to nurbs and duplicated the bottom edge to use that curve to trim a plane to attach the text to.

Join it up, cap and done. Not a perfect fillet but one that looks much better in a render and is also far more suited for direct casting if that is what you are doing. Re using fonts is great as this does take more CAD time…but often saves me a lot of time in manufacture due to failures.

Saving my t-spline object before converting to nurbs also allows me to go back in and edit the edges if any are problematic during manufacture without needing to rebuild and refillet the whole object. Here is another version with rounder edges on the top. HTH.

2 Likes

maybe you want to consider trying heightfield here a thread where this was discussed.

i duplicated your boarder and rebuild it a bit the original shape is slightly jaggy. i made a heightfield with a mesh for test matters you can also create a nurb.

m.3dm.zip (3.8 MB)

4 Likes

thanks Normand

I succeeded to create the fillet but it’s A lot of work.
the problem is that i’m working in a jewelry factory,
and i’m looking for a way to create the fille more Quickly.
is there a way to do that?

thanks sochin

where can i get this plugin sub-d?

thanks RichardZ

I was not really able to work with this function heightfield.
i will try again.

You can also use ApplyEdgeSoftening and then extract the renderMesh

1 Like

thanks jordy1989

it is a realy good way to create a fillet, but after creating the ApplyEdgeSoftening and then extract the renderMesh, it’s create Some things to fix on the letter, And it can be fixed, but it will take time as you can see in the 3d file attachedmEdgeSoftening.stl (263.1 KB)

i dont have this function on mac, but i guess looking at your file that you might have to manually increase the mesh setting for this to function well.

how can i do it RichardZ ?
how to to manually increase the mesh setting ?
thanks

on windows i am not sure where exactly, it should be on the right side in the side panel, either properties or display, then just check the custom mesh and you can increase the quality.

@al_davidson The only native sub-d plugin left is Clayoo2. Do a forum search for that as you will get comments regarding it. I used to use Clayoo1 which was not so good.

The sub-d plugin I use now is T-Splines and that is no longer for sale as a plugin for Rhino. Lots of threads on that as well. Do a search for t-splines. Been discussed at length.

If I did not have a sub-d tool I would use heightfield as @RichardZ suggested. That thread he linked you to has a lot of good stuff in it for using heightfield IIRC.

I have not tried it but perhaps the sub-d tool in the Rhino6 WIP might be able to handle simple things like this? Hopefully someone that uses the WIP will be able to let you know.