Fillet / mergeallfaces

I asked about this re V5 a while back; Pascal said it wouldn’t be fixed for V5, but I see V6 still works the same way…

Some objects that one makes wont fillet properly unless mergeallfaces is run first. To my mind, that command should be run automatically by the fillet command if the object requires it - what would be the downside to that?

heres a simple example:

draw a U shaped set of 3 curves say 50 units each. Join them, then extrude them 50 units. call ofsetsrf to make a solid 6 units thick.
Now try to fillet one of the inside edges 6 units - not pretty.
Now run mergeallfaces on the object, run fillet again and its all sweet…

cheers
rabbit

Hi Tony - I don’t know… If I referred to this as a ‘fix’ I mis-typed or was not thinking… I am not convinced Rhino should be doing this un-asked.

-Pascal

1 Like

Well, I notice V6 has become a bit more chatty - recently it said something like “operation failed - run divide along creases”, so I guess “mergeallfaces” might be a suggestion the command line might make in this case?
I think more chatty command line is a fine thing, although I suppose there are limits…

" operation failed - try “mergeallfaces”, which I could of course run for you but I’m not allowed. Actually though I personally wouldn’t model this in the cak-handed way you are going about it, but whatever, you’re in charge…hmmm, maybe you’d be better off with sketchup? While I’m here - hang on, I’ll just auotosave this …ok, got it - while I’m here I can’t help but notice you’ve been wearing that same “Caution: Contents Under Pressure” t-shirt for the last three days - honestly now, that’s not very hygienic is it? I’ve checked with the washing machine and it says your “What is Beauty?” Tee washed yesterday, although the TV said it noticed the cat dragging it off behind the green sofa, so perhaps you should check there? Also, the fridge is in a bit of a tiz because it can’t re-order any more Carona - something about a wall…? Anyway I said you’d probably like to try some Steinlager from NZ, which is way out on the edge of the world somewhere where you can hear the water falling off - actually I told it to order a pallet - there’s plenty of room in garage if you park the car on the driveway; you don’t want to run out - you know what they say 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day; it can’t be coincidence can it? The way this model is going you seem half-cut anyway, plus your father-in-law is turning up tomorrow and you know what a piss-head he is…your phone called because you are still signed in to google maps and apparently you’ve been stationary for the last 7 hours at your home address and they are worried you’ve left the motor on in the garage, but i told them not to worry since the car can’t fit in the garage anyway…well I know you’re on a deadline so I’ll just get off the command line and let you get on with it - oh I see another wip is available, I’ll just install it now since you don’t seem to be doing anything, it’ll just take about five minutes and you shouldn’t lose any “work” or whatever - I see the Duchess of Windsor has got another bun in the oven - you’d think in this day and age two sprogs would be enough - honestly, don’t they know where they come from? Oops, I see you’ve forgotten to plug in the laptop and the battery is about to go flat, so that will…

Cheers
rabbit

—Sent from mobile device & email—

1 Like

Wow, and all that on your phone, too, I’m impressed!

-Pascal