Fillet in GH

Does anyone know how to implement this in GH?

1 Like

Itā€™s from @DavidRutten. I donā€™t remember the thread, but I think I remember, that he wanted to implement it in GH1. But doesnā€™t matter, he will answer that question :slight_smile:

It is there in R6 GH1.
Capture

Yeah, it is there but how do you get all the inputs?

Only three are required, the other two are optional. It has limitations but is an improvement, if you play with parameter values:

FilEdge.gh (6.2 KB)

You know about hovering the mouse over each input and/or right-clicking on each one, right?

2 Likes

Thanks Joe, Iā€™ll give that a try.

You can use my ā€˜Tree/List Viewerā€™ tool to identify the edge index values:

FilEdge2.gh (18.4 KB)

1 Like

Thanks Joe, I figured out how to right click on the B and M inputs to get the options for chamfer, fillet, blend and the fillet type settings, with your help above.

I've been learning a lot from Gerard's Rapid Hull Parametric definition. I've scaled things down to more yacht sized work and gone from metric to feet so I can better judge displacement in cu ft. Then I surprised myself at being able to change the equation to get it to display displacement in lbs! Helps while I wait for the V6 update to Orca3D.

Oh? Pardon me, from our exchange of GH files four years ago, I thought you knew all about this stuff already.

Heh, hehā€¦ Hydrostatics for hulls (including multihulls) was one of my earliest GH projects. Iā€™m not sure how much has changed since I last updated this page: Marine Hydrostatics in Rhino Grasshopper No one has ever contacted me about it so I assume no one has ever used it.

This was one of the cooler features, using Anemone (looping):

Z-offset Solver automatically adjusts the ā€˜Z-offsetā€™ value to re-establish buoyancy equilibrium for arbitrary values of pitch and roll, based on its at rest level trim.

The ā€œsolverā€ is actually general purpose, not specific to this problem. It essentially manipulates a single value in a specified domain range until the return ā€œfeedbackā€ value reaches zero. The degree of precision (number of decimal points) is an adjustable parameter.

P.S. I just noticed that the first image above (replaced later) refers to a C# ā€œFast Solverā€ component written by David Rutten (on the old GH forum), which I replaced with my own solver using Anemone. The code file has the Anemone version, not the C# component: Hydrostatics_2016_Mar06a.gh (now open source)

Why bother keeping a web page up to date when no one is looking at it anyway? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Only available on Rh6? is it possible to fillet two surfaces on grasshopper on RH 5?

As a native component just in rh6.

BTW hereā€˜s the corresponding thread:

The Fillet Edge Component is really useful. It cannot create chamfers with different angles though (other than 45Ā°).
Is there any way to achieve this with GH components?

Ichamfer_different_angles.gh (14.6 KB)

I managed to achieve my goal placing boxes at the desired edges of the box, rotate them, and do a boolean difference.
I wonder though if there is a more efficient solution as I have many boxes to perform this task on.

No, the Rhino chamfer edge doesnā€™t support that. If you wish for it on the Rhino section of discourse maybe itā€™ll get implemented and then exposed in the SDK and only then can it be added to Grasshopper.

Although I can see formidable problems in specifying which side of an edge is supposed to have which offset. Both manually and in code.

Thanks for your reply!

Iā€™ll try and post it in the Rhino section.