Files changing when I close and reopen them!

Use the vertical arrow icon at the top of the area where you type your post.

I suspect that the forum is not letting me upload files because my registration is new.

Did you try just drag and drop a file on to the editor on this page?

Mark

The layer copy does make more sense. The third party vendor who sold us the Rhino is the one that told us to keep copying it… I checked the distance from origin and the units are typically no more than 750,000

File share for rhino.dxf (210.8 KB)

File share for rhino.dxf (210.8 KB)

Okay, I got it finally… Our plotting table has been acting up for a few days as well… so I’m trying to stay focused and sane.

In the file that I sent, if you look at the gold windshield in the upper right, on the two right vertical lines, they should meet the lower radius (and upper for that matter) exactly, and as you see the original parts in the center of the screen, they were designed that way.

But, I close the file and reopen it… and they’ve all moved.

The gold and red lines should intersect with their respective curves

Would help to have the 3dm file with the curves intersecting before you exported as DXF. I did a quick test after inserting those lines and it worked fine for me, export to DXF.

Was anything else visible when you made the sketch, are you sure you didn’t snap to something else. In the original 3dm file are those curves lines? In the DXF they are only lines so you wouldn’t expect any problems, if they were originally curves\splines then simplifying could be the problem.

Mark

First of all thanks for all of your help and input. Yes I’m sure that the lines were all connected before the model is closed, and as another user mentioned, when they’re getting saved, “Simplify lines and arcs” was checked with a tolerance of .05… So I don’t know if that was the issue.

I did notice this early on and I told my bosses not to disturb me, because I didn’t want to start CAD models unless I could finish them. Lol… That’s the only time that this problem exists, when a file is closed and reopened.

So, you’re suggesting that I save as 3dm, and then export whatever I need?

Try saving and reopening without “Simplify lines and arcs” checked.

I would always save work as a .3dm file which is the native Rhino format, and then export as needed.

If you have the file saved as a 3dm at least you can try again with a tighter tolerance. There might even be a better setting for the export that keeps the splines without simplifying. You’ll need to see if the files are ok with whatever software you’re sending them to.

This is the settings I use for Fusion, they work quite well without simplifying splines.

Mark

Hitting a brick wall a bit. None of my follow up software will import a .3dm, so I have to save the files as DXF anyway.

After doing your work Save as a .3dm (or SaveAs and select Rhino .3dm as the format). No need to close Rhino unless you want to. Then Export the desired information as .dxf or other format as needed. If the exported data has a problem then you can try other Export settings or export to a different format. If you find a problem after closing Rhino you can open the .3dm file and then Export.

If you want to export everything as a .dxf then first save your work as a .3dm file using using Save, then use use SaveAs save everything in a different format. If after closing Rhino you need to go back to your work open the .3dm file, not the .dxf file.

@jim5 -
The dxf file you uploaded has curves not intersecting properly.

As has been mentioned, it would really help if you can upload a 3dm file with the curves intersecting as you want them.

Without that, it’s only conjecture why you have the problem with not intersecting.
If you do upload a 3dm file with the correct geometry, I or someone else trying to help here will be able to test and tell you how to get a good dxf export.

@jim5 Looking at my post again I didn’t really explain clearly, as @davidcockey explained keep a copy as a 3dm file so you have an accurate backup then try Export\Save As to DXF. The settings in the image I attached are what I use for DXF.

Mark

Got it. That file was connected before being saved, closed, and reopened. I can’t upload an unaffected file in 3dm because thanks to that issue, none exist. Tomorrow I’ll be building a new model though, and I’ll save that as 3dm throughout.

When it needs to get imported to the nesting software, which imports many formats, but not 3dm, I’ll save a copy as a DXF and nest it.

So for now, if I can figure out where to check the tolerances as Hughes Tool had mentioned, it’ll be a good starting place. Thank you all again for your patience and help.

Awesome! Tomorrow will be the big day!

Okay so saving in .3dm did the trick… There are a few extra steps now, but it also saves time by not causing errors. I have a lot more to learn about bulk actions, which will hopefully reduce repetitive and tedious tasks, but at least now my files are safe.

Thanks everyone for your help and patience!!

I would encourage to invest in training.
It’s not that expensive once you realize the savings in time, and gains in productivity you will achieve.
Even if only for good practices.