Fibonacci Tree on facade as cutout mask for contour curves

Hi
I need to do a project which the design idea is to mask a Fibonacci tree on the facade cut out the lights which on each levels from it. I am only doing it in a very dumb way, which is trace over it then trim the contour line for each floor level, then delete what has been cut one by one, it really take ages, is there any way in grasshopper to make my life easier? I would appreciated if you can help.

here are some pics below as reference for clarify what the idea would be like.

Do you think there is a serious relation in between both images, an what prevents you in sketching and later constructing the curves? A „tree“ can be automated by recursive algorithms, there are tons of examples and plugins here…
(And even if the architects claim a relation chance are high that this a lie)

I agree, @TomTom. The reference looks more like some kind of diamond grid that has been fiddle with.

@JMR - The Rhino.Python 101 Primer has an excellent tutorial on recursive tree growth, if you’re into coding.
If not Anemone might be the way to go for recursion.

That looks more like a binary tree … but anyway. If you speak C# that’s very easy to resolve (notify if you want an indicative example/quideline).

Hi Peter!
This is an unrelated question question but I thought I’d ask since you’re here already.
Between C# and Python, which language, do you reckon, would be more useful for Grasshopper?
I already know a bit of Python. Do you think I should keep going with it or switch to C#?

Well … I’m in the BIM AEC market sector meaning that GH/R play a very small role on things (but a role anyway) meaning that the choice is a matter of picking the ideal “average”/control/develop platform to customize a lot of different apps (RDBMS driven in most of cases) … meaning C# (always within a teamwork perspective).

If on the other hand you operate in some other sector and/or GH/R is your whole world and/or you are alone and/or you have plans to stay alone … may the Force be with you.

My workflow is between GH/R and Revit for the most part. Currently, I’m very alone :sneezing_face:but don’t plan on staying so forever. Also, I don’t think I’d need to customize a lot of different apps. My work would majorly revolve around GH, for the time being, because I’m fairly new to it and would like to go deeper before moving on to other things.
So is C# a better option from a teamwork perspective only or does it have other advantages as well?

Yes … but depends on the complexity of the workflow, the team, the apps involved the unavoidable collaboration with some software makers etc etc.

That said the best advice that I can give you is this: forget your current state and project yourself well into the future. Mastermind ways to be in high demand (meaning dollars, safety and other things) and off you go.

And always remember: it’s always too late.

1 Like

Haha. That’s some legit advice. I’ve actually been trying to plan and proceed keeping the future demand in mind, which landed me on computational design. I wish I could pick your brain on what you think would be the relevant areas to get better in future-wise. But I don’t think that discussion is possible over here.

Thanks a lot for the pointers nonetheless. And may the force be with all of us!