Feature request: Print directly from Layouts panel

Hi,
I’m requesting a feature that would allow printing directly from the Layouts panel.

Request:

1. Right click a Layout name, and click “Print”, would get you to the print page of that Layout directly.
  2. Selecting several Layouts, right click and “Print”, would bring me to the Print page with “Multiple Layouts” prefilled with the correct set.

This feature would assist tremendously in printing varying PDF-sets from a single Rhino-file.

Hej Toni -

Thanks. We have that feature request on the list as RH-55300 Add Printing Support to Layout Manager Panel/Inspector
I’ve added this thread.

I see that you are using a “PDF-XChange Lite” PDF printer. Just wondering - is there something that is preventing you from using the “Rhino PDF” printer?
-wim

Hi @wim ,
thank you for the positive response. Looking forward for this to be implemented.

I am using PDF-XChange and Adobe PDF both for printing PDFs. They do not vary that much from each other. I print usually large PDF sets of tens to hundreds of pages. All 2D curves and text with possibly millions of curve objects in one file. So files that slow Rhino down, as 2D curves seem to be a bottleneck.

Rhino PDF printer has two major flaws:

1. The filesize is drastically larger, like 6Mb vs 60Mb of a file. The file can be optimised in Adobe for instance and re-saved to a smaller file size, so clearly it is about some sort of optimisation that the other PDF printers do during the printing process. Not a deal-breaker, but…
  2. The printing time is unusably long. I mean, it takes a long time for the other printers to print as well (grab a coffee, or go to lunch long), but Rhino PDF is in its own category on this. I once tested it on a PDF set - Adobe was done in 20min, Rhino PDF was done in 6hours.