Feature Request,...Crowning,

This is actually not really a feature request but more like a request to add to the loft feature, i use lofting alot, and having to individually crown surfaces can take up alot of time especially if you are working with alot of surfaces which im doing quite some, im pretty sure it would help alot of surface modelers because right now the only option would be individually point pull every surface or sweep, which would mean for every surface you need to have profile curves which are just extra steps.

for instance, if say lofting from edge a to b could have a 10% crown where the 10% would be based upon the total distance,…

Sabino,…

1 Like

Hi Sabino- I made a very crude tool for this, just messing around with the idea a while ago - perhaps it will help-I can probably make it quite a bit better, this was a very rough test invoking MoveUVN and pre-selecting the middle points… drag and drop to add LoftCrown as a command. Guaranteed slightly tested…

LoftCrown.rhp (9 KB)

-Pascal

1 Like

Ahhh mannn, i have to go home now, will deffinately test monday, looking forward to this, thanks allready,…

@pascal Hey Pascal, good Saturday to you.
I downloaded this Loftcrown.RHP to see what it’s all about. But I get an error message. Please advise.

Edit: Hah, nevermind. I guess I should read the message in it’s entirety.

@pascal can you release the code for this - in-particular I would like to take a look at the popup window and sliders.

thanks,
Keith

Hi Keith- the pop-up is just the MoveUVN command -, it’s not in my code- like I said, this was a test-hack…

-Pascal

Pascal, this is great for now, allready helps quite some, ofcourse it would be even better if it was implemented in loft and would remember the amount of crowning incase you have to do alot of surface crowning,…

Hi Sabino- I was wondering how to decide the limits to the crowning- would you say that !00% would be the length of the line between opposite edge control points and the setting would be a distance from this line for the middle control point, as a % of the line length?

-Pascal

I think so yes, if i understand right thats pretty much what i had in mind, so 5% would be ie. 100mm length 5mm crown,…

I see, thanks-- it makes sense but is going to hard to figure out, I would guess, where to put the control points to achieve a particular crown on the surface itself- probably needs to be an iterative thing behind the scenes.

-Pascal

Though if it makes things easier it doesnt necesserilly have to be 5mm on 100mm, just an amount you can control would be enough for me,…

Hi Sabino - another question- I do not really see this as being integrated to Loft as is, since it takes just two curves - unless, that is, you expect the crowing to be applied between each pair of curves in a longer series- is that the idea or is it generally one pair at a time?

Anyway, I think I have an idea of how we might go about making something a little more sophisticated than my first hack and we can think about how it should be made ‘real’.

-Pascal

Sorry about that, im thinking single surface modeling since thats about all i do, on multiple curves i do not know how it should work really, so what i was talking about is idd nothing more than 2 curves,…

Got that, thanks.

-Pascal

If you can find a way to have it work on multiple curves id say go right ahead, having 2 loft tools would be too much if you ask me,…

Conceptually, it seems simple enough - add a ‘Crown’ type to the dropdown list and if chosen, the crowning would be applied to a straight loft between each pair of curves. Does that make sense? I just don’t know if anyone would ever want to do this…

-Pascal

Thats what i was thinking, especially when youre lofting between more than 2 curves youre most of the time allready crowning anyway,…

Sorry for bringing this back up, but i just wanted to mention that alias has this feature and i use it alot in alias. works like a charm,…

It would be a good option for this type to add to the Loft command.

Well, this is a complete hack I made just to explore the idea - don’t consider it a real finished command but it might help for now.

-Pascal