FEATURE REQUEST - assigning clipping planes to detail views

This is a feature I requested a while ago via support chat (RH-64892) but I never posted it here.

When you have a model that uses many clipping planes assigned to many detail views in many different layouts it can be really hard to keep track of it all - to say it’s tedious is an understatement. I came up with a UI that would make life a hell of a lot easier…see below.

This is the current UI for assigning clipping planes to details views

A UI like this would make my workflow 100% better…

1 Like

Hi Brady - not sure if the script offered here may make some of this easier:

-Pascal

Yes could be helpful, thanks

BTW…
Next few weeks, Rhino 8 WIP will have a new command SelClippingPlaneInViewport command.
It selects clipping planes that are clipping the currently active viewport.
Works in model views and active detail views.

So if you test Rhino 8 WIP, next weeks April 26 or later build, you can try out this command.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

That will be handy! But still doesn’t help with overall management of clipping planes. I hope the dev team notices my UI idea.

Thank you, Brady!
Yes, I wrote RH-64892.
Because of the files that you provided are attached, it is set to Developer view only.

We appreciate the sketches.
I will add them to RH-64892.
As @pascal says, “It is on the pile.”

Thanks,
Mary Ann Fugier

Yes you have logged most of my requests/concerns over the last year or so! I decided to make posts on the forum about everything so I could better keep track of communication about it and see if anyone else would chime in. Thanks for all your efforts!