Feature Request: Align option: FromPoint

I use the near snap rather often but always as a one-shot snap. I just type ‘near’ when I need it. That goes fast enough but you could assign an even shorter keyboard shortcut to it.

Hi!
Anything new about this? I really agree Brenda, I’d like to have “align from point”. It would be so easy…
Move with dimension does not work,it’s never exact, like you know.

If I go to front view and move from point, it looks it is ok, but when I go to perspective I see that part went to wrong position.

What I have to do to lock it to only z direction? What is the button or setting I have to use… Or if I’m in front view, how to lock moving position only to X direction?
There is “apparent int” in Rhino 7. It works sometimes well but if there is many hidden forms… :S

And if level you want to align from is behind some shapes, it is some work to find the correct point.
But from shaded and side view it would be so easy to align with “align from point” command…
So I want option in to “align” that just pick point from and point to and zadaa, part is on exact position…

In the Perspective viewport, (default Top CPlane) Move>Vertical with object snaps might help. Also the Align command from the front viewport.

Thanks for the fast reply :slight_smile:
How about front, right or top view?

The Align command will work in Orthographic views if the point on object to be aligned is the top, bottom or center of the object. Otherwise it’s possible start the move command, pick the “from” point on the object, use the Tab key (+Ortho) to lock the direction to vertical in the active viewport then use an object snap for the destination.

Yes, tab made the magic :smiley: I never knew tab is also important! Usually I use only ctrl, shift and alt…
Great advice Helvetosaur :slight_smile: