Faro Scan Arm V3 / Quantum Arm support and help with Rhino 6

Looking to find and pay for help setting up our Faro Quantum arm with V3 scanner to Rhino

Hi Sean,

You can use the arm connected directly to Rhino to digitize individual points, see info here
https://www.rhino3d.com/searchresults?q=digitize+faro+arm

If you are looking to process scan data collected by the laser probe you will not be able to do that directly with Rhino.

You need an intermediate application such as Geomagic to generate the point cloud or meshes, which may be imported into Rhino.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick response! I thought it was to good to be true that I could just go from my Faro arm to Rhino. I have looked into Geomagic and the cost has been my biggest hurdle! Do you happen to know of any other programs that take the laser data that can then be used to create models?
We are looking to create models from our BLK 360, and i have this Faro arm just sitting in the case and it’s killing me not be able to use it.
Again, thank you for your help.

As far as I know, there is no significantly less costly option to use the laser probe data.
Polyworks is a competitive application to Geomagic, and I believe is similarly priced.

Thank you for the affirmation and direction! On another subject, what do you do? What is your passion?

Hi,
I use Rhino 3D extensively for modeling from laser scanner pointclouds,
You can see some of my work at www.mikeannear.com
You can use CloudCompare or MeshLabs (both free) to create your meshes from pointclouds.
I usually use the raw pointclouds directly in Rhino (import as E.57 )
Please email me with any questions that you might have.
Regards,
Mike.

Hello Mike,
Great to meet you! My company www.designergrains.com has been using Rhino for just over 15 years, we have created a niche in our area duplicating architectural elements for ourselves and others.
To this point I have dabbled with point clouds generated from drones and photogammetry software, and in the last year the implementation of Cyclone Register 360 for processing scan data from our Leica scanner.
If you are open to training others I would really like to talk with you in more detail.
www.sean@designergrains.com