Extrude long text with taper and random height

I am trying to extrude a text with 2900 characters so that each letter has a random height (between 1-4mm).

I have tried to use grasshopper for this but have not found a component that can do it. Pufferfish sort of works but it sets different values on the outer and inner curves of the O and R.

Would be super thankful if someone could point me in the right direction or even solve the problem. I have included a file with sampels of the different methods I tested. Ideally the finished text would be like number four. Where the tapered letter is the same but the height is different. This one I made by hand with extrudeSurface 2mm with 30 degree taper and then I moved the lower surface with MoveFace (moving the upper surface gave bad results). But of course number three is also acceptable since it is “just” individually set values with extrudeSurface with taper.

TextExtrudeTaperTest.3dm (8.2 MB)

Thank you all in advance.
Thomas Broomé
RandomHeightExtrudeTapered_thomas.gh (7.3 KB)

You can use the surfaces to get the boundary curves each in their own branch, then create a random number for each branch, which will be the same for all curves in that branch:
RandomHeightExtrudeTapered_thomas_edit.gh (13.6 KB)

1 Like

Thank you Bernd, that is really awesome. You saved the day! Simple and elegant.

1 Like