Extract points from texture to mesh

texture
unhandled

Hi all, is there a way to extract some points coordinates from a texture on a mesh?

I can explain more with an image:

I have a sphere with a texture applied mapped in Maya, this texture has white background with some regular positioned black points.

Is there a way to convert this points in the 3D space and know the exact position?
I tried using the ApplyDisplacement command but with no success.

Thanks in advice, best regards,
Julio

It looks as though the dots are in a diamond shape and don’t pinch towards the poles. You could draw a simple grid using the radius of the sphere as a starting point and then scale it by a set amount to cover the points.

From there you can project onto the surface which would give you the result you want.

It might not be mm perfect but it’s a start - might be better to use the projected dots as the starting point and then apply a refined texture to match, if need be?

Andy

(Pascal Golay) #3

Hi Giulio - can you post that file and the texture?

-Pascal

Thanks for the reply, here’s the files: sphere.zip (1.2 MB)

Julio

Hi @Julio,

yes, but Rhino does not have the tools built in, some scripting is required to transfer the 2d point locations in the texture to 3d real points.

sphere.3dm (4.9 MB)

c.

Thanks @clement, that’s awesome!

I’m trying to figure out how you did it. Can you tell me how you unfolded the mesh?
Than I think you built the grid and positioned the points on it, and then you did the FlowAlongSrf command, right? I’m really courious about the steps you did.

Thanks again,

Julio

Hi @Julio

no, FlowAlongSrf works for surfaces only. To unwrap use _ExtractUVMesh, for the points transform I’ll send you an extracted snippet of code via PM as this is part of a larger project which is not ready for public yet.

c.