Extract a serie of surfaces from a solid

Hi, I would like to extract a serie of surfaces from a solid. I used “contour”, then “planar curve”. However, it identicates some contours are not “closed”, so it doesn’t work. If I use “closed curve”, it doesn’t do what I want (look at the pictures). I tried in Grasshopper too but I had the same problem…

Anyone got any ideas ? Thank you ! (I’m using Version 5)

Hi Laurie see if there are any naked edges on the mesh (ShowEdges>NakedEdges). You might be able to close it up with AlignMeshVertices. Feel free to export the object and post it here, that is the best way to get help.

-Pascal

Thank for the quick answer !

I just tried but it don’t seem to change something. I used “closecrv” and got the same problem.

Laurie.1.3dm (16.1 MB)

Hi Laurie - as you can see from ShowEdges > Naked Edges, as I suggested above, the mesh is chock full of naked edges - these will naturally leave open curves from sections.There is some work to be done here - the gaps are large - you can use MatchMeshEdge with a distance of 50 units - it’s a big hammer way to fix it but it may be good enough. Use UnifyMeshNormals afterwards. Sections/Contours should be closed depending on command line options for joining.

-Pascal

Wow, it works perfectly now! I’m a Rhino beginner and I’ve been looking for a solution for 3 days, thank you very much for your help.