Expression component of Evaluate

Hi,
I am in the process of learning GH and I am using a very useful book - Algorithms Aided Design.
At some point I started using the Evaluate component to define equations. Because I am learning I find it useful to have all components displayed with their full names. Apparently when I define a function and have the full names displayed, GH for some reason considers it for mistake. If I hide the full names it works. Is this some error with the Evaluate block that I just found out, or is it a long term problems that is getting fixed?

Secondly, the book doesn’t say what component to use to write my formula in so that I can see it on the canvas. I tried - // (but that is not right). I have to right click on the function and click on Expression Editor. I am not sure how to make the expression visible on the canvas?

Regards.

1 Like

Hi @t.donov94,
The issue with full names is long known and won’t be fixed in gh1. So sadly this is a limitation we all have to live with.

As for having your formula visible: you can use the Expression component. It renders the given Formula nicely to the canvas

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for the info. I tried the Expression component, however it is not the one I am looking for. I tried it but there are x and y input components. I am looking for is something like the thing shown in the picture.

Regarding the full name display I guess I will have to switch between full names and short once, it is not that big of a problem.

Hi - One way of doing this is writing the formula in a Panel and putting that into the Evaluate component - like in the picture that you posted.
The other way, as Lando writes, is to use the Expression component.

If it’s the “paraboloid equation” in that panel that is throwing you off, you can add titles to those panels by right-clicking on them:
-wim

3 Likes

The problem is when you display full names the name of the variable is becoming “Variable x” instead of “x”.

You can right click on the input name “variable x” rename it to “x”, same for the y and rest, double click to open the expression editor, click ok to close and it should be fine.

Note also that the naming is case insensitive.

2 Likes

You can also start using ghpython.
The sooner the better :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Thank you for the help guys! Great community.

2 Likes

thanks as well!