Exporting Scalable Vector Graphics svg files

High resolution (1200 dpi) printers require svg or similar files, typically produced with Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator. I need to extract artwork from a conical surface then export it. Everything seems to work well in Rhino 6 (thank you McNeel), but I have not been able to export the background color using the view background color option in the export window, so white text disappears. It’s still there, you just can’t see it. I’m experimenting with a color fill around the text that would have to be removed just before printing, but I would think it better to have a background layer that can be set to not print.

Does anyone have an insight on this?

Hello - if you export a solid hatch that is behind the text it may work - useSendToBack/BringForward etc to order coplanar objects for printing. Using the Mask feature on Text may also do the job.

-Pascal

Can anybody confirm if the svg exporter in V6 handles solid hatches as fills and exports them to the svg file? Failing that, does it convert surfaces to fills? I haven’t got access to my V6 install atm.

Does the exporter pay any heed to the display order in Rhino?

Thanks, Matt

Hi Matt - here’s a quick svg export of a rectangle with solid hatch - renamed to *.txt to be able to upload here…

SVG-export-hatch.svg.txt (609 Bytes)
-wim

1 Like