Exporting Issue

Thanks for trying this @arianna1. It is good to rule out that idea.

I am curious whether or not third-party kernel extensions are causing this. That could be ruled out by booting to Safe Mode - which disables them. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, we know that it’s not caused by third-party kernel extensions. I would appreciate anyone trying this on their own because it requires a reboot.

Thanks @brandon3 for the offer of a screen-sharing session. We might need to take you up on this in the near-ish future.

One other thing to note: I noticed all the system reports are from Rhino for Mac 6.22 or earlier. It would be helpful to know whether this is happening in the latest Service Release (6.23) - just check for updates - or the Release Candidate (6.24). I suspect that it is, but it would also be good to rule out.

Thanks all for your help.

Another helpful data-point we would like:

Does this bug occur in the latest RhinoWIP? If so, we have some additional debug logging in that build that might give us clues.

I am currently running 6.23, still have the issue there. When I booted in to safe mode things got very odd. I wasn’t even able to load my drawing, it just set there with the spinny lines like it was trying to load but never did (I waited over 5 minutes). When I tried to open a new drawing, when I selected any menu drawing option it would pop up a dialog box asking for a “value” then would just return unknown command, but never drew anything on the screen.

Hi there,

I have the same issue with exporting in Rhino 6. The only reason that I upgraded to Rhino 6 in the first place was because while running Grasshopper in Rhino 5.5, I was unable to access any grasshopper files on my computer (ie - the program completely crashed when I clicked “open” on the grasshopper page). Not sure if there’s any correlation between these two problems. I am running macOS Catalina on a 2018 15in MacBook Pro which I have just completely wiped to see if the problem was with my computer (it isn’t). Hoping this gets resolved soon so I am able to complete assignments for university :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Patrick

How many of you that are having issues with exporting are using DropBox? I noticed that com.getdropbox.dropbox.kext is in 2 of the SystemInfos that were posted (same version, 1.10.3). If you know of a way to disable that, at least temporarily, you might try it. I’d tell you how if I knew but I don’t. Incidentally, I tried adding DropBox to my own Mac hoping I could reproduce the bug but I was unable to. I also don’t see com.getdropbox.dropbox.kext in my SystemInfo so I’m not convinced I have it setup the same way.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I don’t use Dropbox but still have the exporting issue

OK. Thanks for the info, good to know. Maybe I was barking up the wrong tree.

Here’s a request to anyone following this thread and is having this problem.

Does booting the OS into SafeMode alleviate the problem? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262 I know Brandon had troubles so no point in having him try this again. There are reports of this working on our support system.

According to Apple’s website this is what SafeMode does, "Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. " Are you able to figure out any of that sort of stuff? If we can compile a list from several users that have the problem it might be possible to isolate a common app or extension that’s causing trouble.

Tim

Hello all,

There is some indication from our support system that updating your OS to 10.15.4 may alleviate the problem. If you’re able to update, please do. Then post here if it made any difference.

Tim

Hi All,

3 more users have reported that updating to 10.15.4 has fixed this problem since my last post. We’re pretty convinced this will fix the problem. Please update your OS to current.

If you still have trouble after updating, by all means report back here.

Here’s a link to the bug report. https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-56926

Cheers,
Tim

1 Like

It works now for me!!! :raised_hands: :raised_hands: :raised_hands: :raised_hands:
The new OS update was the solve on my end.