Export with Layouts

(Declan Halpin) #1

Hi all,

I’d like to export a few objects along with all layouts.

Currently no layouts accompany the objects during export. What’s the best way?

declan

(Declan Halpin) #3

bump

I’ve tried to highlight all the Layout-level stuff, then highlight the objects to export, but that didn’t work. I even went back & forth to confirm layout and model objects stayed highlighted (and they do).

(Pascal Golay) #4

Hi Declan - I guess you cannot, as things are now… I do not see a good way. A bad way might be to Save, then select the objects, Invert Delete SaveAs Undo … then re-open the original file.

-Pascal

(Declan Halpin) #6

Hm, that only deletes objects that are not locked/hidden, though. They’d be re-saved in the new file… I’ll have to keep thinking on it.

tx!

(Pascal Golay) #7

This is true… it’s no doubt possible to script that churns through everything and shows and unlocks and then resets everything back to how it was… I’ll take a look.
@declan, see how this python works…

ExportWithLayouts.py (1.3 KB)

Kinda hacky as usual but it seems to sort of do the right things.
Use RunPythonScript
or
! _-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double quotes"

-Pascal

(Declan Halpin) #8

Thanks Pascal!! It seems to be running a “SaveAs”, though, so all locked objects are being saved.

(Pascal Golay) #9

Here’s what it should be doing…

Save
Unlock&show everything and delete all but the selected objects
Save as
Reopen originally saved file…

It was doing that here last night… I’ll poke some more.

-Pascal

(Declan Halpin) #10

Hey @Pascal,

Just following up on this. It’s exactly what I’m looking for except it exports everything (including unused layers, locked objects) not just the “Selected” objects.

(Declan Halpin) #11

Pascal,

Is there any reason this had to be done in .py? Can I mimic the functionality with .rs?

(Pascal Golay) #12

Hi Declan - sorry, I forgot about this one - I’ll take another look. It looks like RhinoScript could do what I’m hacking in here, yes.

@declan, OK, I finished the job, I think, I was only looking at layer locking and not objects. It’s still a hack. Let me know if I left anything out.
use ! _-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double quotes"

ExportWithLayouts.py (1.4 KB)

to run this off of a button or alias.

-Pascal

(Declan Halpin) #13

That is excellent! THANK YOU! And just out of curiosity - did you do this in .py for efficiency? Personal preference?

I am still trying to learn scripting, so I can slowly stop being such a mooch. But in the meantime, thanks for your generosity!

dh

(Pascal Golay) #14

Hi Declan - python just has way more possibilities than RhinoScript, on the whole, as it can access the RhinoCommon stuff, which rs cannot. So I mostly type py, these days, but this one probably would have been just as easy in Rhinoscript

-Pascal