Export Metal/Glass Materials (fbx, dae, ...)

Hi. So after learning more about file formats and their limitations I realized that most common formats simply can not store a lot of material information, especially values for metallnes, reflection etc, since each render engine reads this information differently.
I ended up exporting my files as a FBX either to Blender to clean the meshes up and do proper UV mapping before applying materials and exporting the model as a glTF 2.0 file (*.glb). Or, for models with simple geometries I would apply materials in Substance Painter and export a glb there.

The engine I’m using is a web application based on A-Frame.

The blender support page has a quite comprehensive article explaining the glTF 2.0 format and it’s PBR Material possibilities and limits. >Link

As far as I know, glTF is the only file format that is currently able to store materialized (PBR materials) and UV mapped models and their respective maps in one single package. A fully functioning Rhino implementation is not really there yet but there is a thread surrounding this issue on this forum that you can keep an eye on. >Topic

Alternatively there is also USD, another quite promising format that would enable a compression free model transfer. But USD is even less widely implemented so currently glTF seems to be the way to go.

This guide also explains the issue pretty well: Ben Houston’s Ultimate Guide to 3D File Formats

Hope this helps!

1 Like