Explode option in UnrollSrf

Shouldn’t this explode the resulting surface into separate parts? Doesn’t work for me.

-david

Do you have an example you can post where this is not working? If you are unrolling a polysurface, with explode=yes, the Unroll should result in separate surfaces with spaces between them.

–Mitch

Actually it’s not a polysurface - it’s more like an 8-sided semi-sphere. The resulting Unrolled Srf has each segment layed out flat, but they are all still “joined”. I have to run Explode manually to separate each unrolled segment into its own object. I would think the explode=yes option would do this for me.

thanks,
d

So this is not UnrollSrf, but Squish? --Mitch

It’s UnrollSrf. Why?

Hi David -

Can you post yours or send to tech@mcneel.com?

thanks,

Yes - i can later today.

thanks,
d

Well, because you say it’s NOT a polysurface, but what you describe seems to be either a single double curved surface (which UnrollSrf shouldn’t unroll), or a single surface that has internal kinks (which is unusual and likely to cause problems)… Otherwise, from oyur description, it seems like it should be a polysurface.

–Mitch

It’s a semi sphere that I rebuilt using 1 degree (faceted) edges. It’s still just 1 surface.

Yes - I think this is the case.

If it’s a single surface, then it can’t “explode”. You can run the command DivideAlongCreases to split the single surface into a polysurface at the kinks. Then it should explode on Unroll.

–Mitch

Yes, however, the resulting “unrolled” surface is a polysurface that can be exploded. So why doesn’t the explode option in UnrollSrf work for this?

Yeah, kind of an oddball edge case that maybe should be looked at… There is a “kink splitter” in the Rhino core as I understand it, and a number of operations use it automatically. My feeling is the result gets run through the kink splitter after it has already decided that the input object is one surface and shouldn’t be exploded, so it splits into a joined polysurface at the kinks, but doesn’t explode into separate pieces with spaces between.

Does DivideAlongCreases before Unroll work for you? --Mitch

Yes - once I unroll it, it gives me the results I was expecting. thank you! Having said that, this is pretty much a bug with UnrollSrf, as far as I can tell :slight_smile: