Exclude Object from Clipping Planes?

Oh, for sure. This has been discussed at length in another thread about drafting and layouts.

I’m not sure how this would work…or if I would even want this for my own workflow.

I would really like to see the devs prioritize this in the next round of experimental features. According to the YT, it’s been on the back burner since at least November 12th 2009! (4 months after I started using Rhino as a year 1 architecture student!) This would certainly be a game changer for Rhino users.

2 Likes

it would be option on/off if you want only closed polysurfaces or open as fell when there is just close loop when clipped

Technically, there’s no good reason why hatches should only be created from closed polylines. They store their own editable curve border anyway, so if an open curve was taken as input, it would simply be closed.

As so often it’s more a question of what we are used to. Hatches are an old CAD concept, and we learned over decades to close them before hatching.

In 2d vector apps this was never necessary.

I’m just not sure how a mixed-bag of open and closed geometry could jive together. Especially if you are working with multiple per-object clipping Planes. If it solves more problems than it creates, great!

Hi @wim can you add my vote for this feature? Thanks.

Hi, @wim can you add my vote for this feature too? Thanks!
And I think this topic about “X-Clip” maybe is same feature, Thanks!

And is it possible to do mulitple clipping planes for multiple blocks? This can apply to a railing script where instead of rescaling blocks of pipes, i can instead clip them to make mitered joints. 3ds max Railclone has this feature although they don’t maintain instancing. Having this feature for blocks is a game changer.

Hello! Is it possible to exclude from view (without cancelling) part of a geometry (nurbs/mesh/ecc.)? I’ve seen in VisualArq it is possible, but I did not understand if the section (clipping) curve can be closed… has anyone an answer?.. I should cut that geometry and keep it (for adjustments) according to that backing surface (with hole)…

+1 here

@stevebaer what is the motivation for this wish, could it be taken into closer consideraton pls pls?

here another wish of that sort

and here another

Motivation?

I’ve seen this wish requested in different forms over the years. It is in our bugtrack system at
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-6069

did i express myself awkward again. yes so i have seen the bugtracker, but it is marked as future which could also mean it might not happen for quite a while if at all, so i asked regarding news if that has a chance to happen. i saw @nathanletwory working on clipping volumes some time ago, but has stopped working on it… would be a real good tool to have i think.

right now it is pretty fiddly finding workarounds

This feature will not be added to Rhino 7.

This has a chance to happen for Rhino 8, but we have not determined what the feature set surrounding clipping in general for V8 will be yet.

2 Likes

Steve
Judging by the number of votes I’d really push this up in a priority list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking a lot about where clipping planes fail, and where they doesn’t even inform you what’s in my opinion are the most useful cases of clipping planes. I’ll try to post some examples soon.

G

1 Like

@stevebaer,
Any update on where clipping improvements will fall on the V8 roadmap? Are there any ways us users can help facilitate advancement here? Perhaps share sample files showing situations of clipping shortfalls (as they arise) or have pizza sent to your office for the next developer meeting about the future of clipping? Always willing to help. :pizza:

@gustojunk I would love to see those examples if you still have interest in sharing.

1 Like

I liked @halo idea about being able to measure the clipped edges of a clipping plane. what about a clipping sphere? Or shape of your making,to use as clipping plane?—-Mark

1 Like

In grad school we did some volumetric clipping in Maya with a tool called ‘puppet shader’ or something like that. Rhino users would most definitely make use of this. Personally, for my work, selective clipping to illustrate ‘peel away’ assemblies non-destructively is urgently needed.

3 Likes

looks good, the status in the tracker was set to next up :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes this irritates me that i cannot snap to clipped edges…

1 Like

Well I could have used this today…

Also, wasn’t there a way to duplicate/save clipping plane generated edges?