Exception error when calling the function “Rhino.Geometry.Curve.CreateInterpolatedCurve(…)"

Hi, Developer,

I’m a software engineer from Singapore. I’m trying to use the RhinoCommon library function “Rhino.Geometry.Curve.CreateInterpolatedCurve(…)" in our separate commercial software not in Rhino 7. We contact the local supplier (FreeForm) and get the 2 weeks license of the Full Version (rhino_en-us_7.10.21256.17001.exe). We’re evaluating the function of the library function.

Here is the license

We encountered an issue and contacted the local service, and they recommended us to post the issue in the forum. So could you please take a look at the issue? I just attach the email I discuss with the service about the question as below.

"
Actually, when we do the evaluation we encountered one exception error when calling the function “Rhino.Geometry.Curve.CreateInterpolatedCurve(…)". Our purpose is to use RhinoCommon function in our software not inside the Rhino application. We want to use the library function to interpolate the curve and get the result in our own software. Thank you so much.

I list the steps how I use the library function.

1. I downloaded the full version via the guidance from your email and installed it.
2. Login using my email account when start the Rhino application to make sure the credential and version is correct.
3. I create my own C# application project and write the test code calling the function “Rhino.Geometry.Curve.CreateInterpolatedCurve(…)"
4. I reference the “RhinoCommon.dll” (under the folder “C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\System\RhinoCommon.dll”) in my own project, so that the build is successful.
5. I copied all the files from the Rhino folder “C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\System” to the application project “Output Folder”, so that when running the test application, the .dll files can be found.
6. When test application is calling the function “Rhino.Geometry.Curve.CreateInterpolatedCurve(…)", the exception error is happened as the below details.

"

I’m looking forward your answer and thank you so much.

Best Regards,

Are you connected? Read that post. I explained how to implement an interpolation algorithm on your own. Using and shipping libraries of other commercial apps is usually not allowed. And honestly you should know that! Buying a license doesn‘t mean you become the owner of the source code, unless the business/license model explicitly allows you to do that!

Hi @yasun,

RhinoCommon only works when used from inside of Rhino. Many functions in RhinoCommon call back into Rhino.exe.

Also, you might review our End User License Agreement, specifically:

You may not distribute any portion of the Software or materials accompanying the Software.

Let me know if you have any questions.

– Dale

You can use all of RhinoCommon’s functionality in a separate application if you use the RhinoInside nuget package in your project. This does require Rhino to be installed on the same computer where your application executes.

1 Like