Eternity ring - polar array boolean unsuccessful

Hi,

I’m trying to make this mockup for my brother and for some reason the polar array of the rectangular cutters is not booleaning successfully on the first count, thwen the rotated version is successful. I’ve tried flattening but the problem persists.

Any ideas much appreciated.

thanks

Giles
ring_vsquarehole.gh (28.7 KB)
eternityring3sq_hole.3dm (19.1 MB)

Is your 3dm file still uploading? Maybe try again…

sorry about that. Should work now

Is this supposed to be the same gem 25 times around the ring?

Why is the recess shape not swept all around to 360° but just 359.99°?

If I do 360 degrees (which I’d really like to do) then it breaks the definition somehow. If you know why that is, I’d love to know! I think that may also resolve the slight misalignment in the gems?

I’ve done a single polar array for the rectangular cutters now and it seems to work better. Not really sure why I did it in 2 passes.

ring_vsquarehole.gh (31.7 KB)

You can get an eternity ring algorithm in real time by creating a complete module with a single stone and cutters where to do all boolean operations and then make the polar array with it.

Thanks Dani, that’s exactly what I’m trying to do! But I’ve been using various shaped gems, various hole shapes and sizes and various ring parameters, so it’s become more complex than necessary, I expect.

Do you have a nice example I can see?

It still only does 359.9 degrees

Use Region difference to create the profile shape
The angle domain is 0 to 2 pi by default

Solid difference don’t work, this always happened!

Decrease the height of the box from 2 to 1.995

ring_vsquarehole2.gh (19.5 KB)

Solid difference works fine when you flip the revolve axis. I’ve come accorss this problem before.

Generally I would use planes with an origin for the rectangle plane input… You’ll have to do a bit of math to define the domains but I think it is better this way.

This is still your first file. I have no time for the gems:

ring_vsquarehole.gh (46.3 KB)

What did reducing the height of the box to 1.995 do? Did that help with the region difference?

I can’t entirely follow your changes but it seems to work really well. Thank you very much.

I’ll spend some time studying it and see what I can learn!

Thanks Martin,

I’ll try flipping the Z and taking bits from your version so I can follow your logic. I love how you put the metal preview in there! I was wondering how to do that!

You can reference whatever material name you have set in the Rhino document.

Brilliant. I see that now. Odd how smoothly that panel refers to the material. Everything else is always so difficult!

Hey, I fixed the issues I had and deleted the superfluous definitions from previous 1/4 eternity iterations and it works really well.

Thanks so much for your input @martinsiegrist and @anon39580149

regards

Giles
Eternity_Ring_Vfinal.gh (25.9 KB)

2 Likes