ESC key fails to abort

If the file is super heavy, I’ve seen similar behavior in Win Rhino too. ESC just takes a while to cancel an operation.

Just today, we,were evaluating a top spec Paperspace instance, and using Rhino as one of the tests, using a very heavy 500MB file with a gaziillin rounds. ESC took a while…

Paperspace works great with CAD apps BTW.

https://www.paperspace.com/

Hi @dan
Right now I’m working almost completed files and I can not share them in any way. However I will try to find a model where I can reproduce the problem and send. Once again, I apologize for not being able to share certain files, pictures or videos of them, as this does not help solve the problem.
If I remember correctly, in the past I had done an intersection test with “bad objects” and always failed or blocked Rhino (without being able to come out with “undo” or “esc”.

Simon

actually it is when the command window it still active, once you click on something else the window becomes inactive just not right click so rotating the camera still works keeping it escapable, which generally is also not so bad since zebra enables to analyze surface while point editing it which itself is escapable.

but something like a quick double pressed esc to escape all generally escapable but remaining open windows, would be interesting.

1 Like

yes would be nice, but to be honest, and back to the esc button, if it just worked when trying to escape commands would be a great start :slight_smile:

Hmm, sounds like what you mean is a ‘master’ ESC that instructs the software to just end whatever task it is up to immediately, no matter what, and return to the open state??? (If technically possible?)

Thinking back, when I’ve experienced Rhino seemingly ignore ESC, on both Win and Mac, it is usually when in the process of calculating something that will take Rhino significant time anyway, such as generating a render mesh on a heavy file, or processing a lot of fillet edges at once, or something pehaos as @Zsimon describes, where Rhino is in “deep thought…”

or even better to keep the windows addressed sequentially, that when point editing is opened after zebra for example, that esc would quit points and another esc would quit the last remaining. i thin not being able to cancel zebra with esc could also be considered as a bug in this context.

can also be, but a simple esc to quit a deep thought and also other open commands should suffice. i meant just in case of several windows open which have to be canceled separately a double esc, but maybe the described sequential idea would be better since this would be rather in the manner of how rhino works actually.

Yes, please do. If this is happening often, please send along an example where it occurs…it doesn’t have to be from a project that you are working on, just reproduce the problem with arbitrary geometry.

Thanks in advance,
-Dan

sorry for the late reply Dan. The problem I’ve found with intersects (in my experience) is a little different from the general “ESC does nothing” issue I started this thread with. Yes, that issue occurs - ie ESC fails to abort any non-trivial intersect - but there is an additional issue that occurs occasionally where even a simple intersect (say, a line and a plane) sends rhino into an endless loop with the CPU maxed out, requiring a force quit to abort Rhino. Next time this happens I’ll attach the file, though I suspect it has more to do with the state of the Rhino application (maybe memory use, or some other specific app state) than an error in the file. I say this as in these cases, if I force quit and restart rhino, reload the file and run the same intersect, it works perfectly.

I would like to append to this thread my repeatable escape key issue.
running a processor intensive command, in my latest case “silhouette”. I am able to toggle layer visibility and the display will respond. I am able to slowly rotate the display but at a very low frame rate with my space mouse but not my regular mouse. I am able to issue zoom commands but unable to select anything. and the silhouette dialog box is sitting empty. 23 AM

esc never worked for me trying to quit/stop intensive commands, mind you I haven’t tried it for quite some time :slight_smile:

This is still a problem for Mac users and a very frustrating one! I find that Intersect almost always produces a “hung” operation that requires a Force Quit to move on. Really wish this problem could be sorted.

Hi - is this in the Rhino 6 for Mac WIP?

No, the latest stable version: Rhino 5.5.3.

Why do you ask? Does Esc work in 6 WIP? If so, does “intersect” also work without hanging eternally?

Because we are getting closer to releasing Rhino 6 and it is unlikely at this point that there will be changes to Rhino 5.

I don’t know. As far as I can tell, several people in this thread reported having problems but no one has provided an example that we can test. Both Esc and Intersect should work - both on Rhino 5 and Rhino 6 - and any case where this doesn’t should be investigated with a reproducible example.There have been many (as in - very many) changes in Rhino 6, so the first step is to check if this is reproducible in the current WIP.
Thanks,
wim

OK, thanks Wim. If I can remember the last failure that produced the problem I will attempt to duplicate and send you the log data.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Boolean Split problem

Hi Wim,

OK, so I have been able to duplicate the failed Intersect, no ABORT with Esc problem - please see uploaded 3DM and screen shots. In the 3DM, I attempted to perform an Intersect between Handle and Insert at 08:54 this morningBasisteil v6.3dm (5.9 MB)

Hardware%20configuration . At 09:04 I took a screen shot recording the status of the operation (see red boxes at top right and bottom left in screenshot “Failed INTERSECT - no ABORT using Esc possible T2”). I hit the Esc key to Abort at 09:14 and took a second screen shot at 09:22 to record its failure (see red boxes in “Failed INTERSECT - no ABORT using Esc possible T3”). Also uploaded is a screenshot of my “Hardware configuration”.

Many thanks,

John

Wim,

I have just quit Rhino, restarted my computer and attempted to run the Intersect command on the same file and this time it has worked perfectly!

Sorry, I should have tried this before sending my previous message.

So, the problem would appear to be memory-related - would you concur?

Regards,

John

Still doesn’t explain why the Esc key wouldn’t abort the first effort, though.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can’t interrupt command with ESC