Error: Results cannot be displayed

I’m getting the following error message under certain parameter configurations. The Grasshopper Definition itself works fine.

Unfortunately, I cannot post the entire GH-Definition and I’m not able to isolate the problem either.
So, my general question would be:
Are there any known conditions, which cause those kinds of problems in the viewer?
Is it a problem if a “Shapediver Display Geometry”-Component does not get any objects or gets Null objects? Also, does it make a difference (performance-wise) if many mesh objects or one combined mesh object gets fed into that component?
Is it a problem if a script throws an error (e.g. is red), although it’s output is not being used/needed.

Thanks, Simon

That’s quite a lot of questions so let’s unpack this.

You probably hit the computation limit as explained in the documentation:

In most cases, our servers can’t perform an exhaustive checking of all possible parameter sets. Therefore it is possible that model checking succeeds even though some parameter sets take longer than the time limit to compute. In that case, the viewer will display an error message during the viewing session instead of displaying the result.

Read more on output limitations here. SDDisplayGeometry component with no or Null objects is in general not an issue. Component throwing an error is not necessarily a showstopper but it’s not the best practice.

Try optimising your Grasshopper definition first. Tips and tricks in this blog post give you some ideas on what to improve. I recommend the Metahopper plugin, its Bottleneck Navigator is an essential tool for performance checking.

Can you post a screenshot of results from the Bottleneck Navigator to see how the model performs on your computer?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I followed this guide, making extensive use of externally hosted meshes and the “Transformations C# script” on internal meshes. The pure computation time on my local machine is below 500ms. I’m on a Pro Account.

I might hit the 20MB limit for output size to the viewer. Is there a way to check? Do external meshes count against that?