Error Message at difference

I tried to substract one polysurface form another Polysurface.

I want to add a Screenshot to my question:

Wasser_direkt.3dm (6.9 MB)

from your file it is not clear what you want to do, can you send just the objects that you are using for the (assuming) BooleanDifference?

In general, it is recommended for BooleanDifference to avoid objects that have coincident surfaces.

The attached file should contain 4 objects.

Three objects should form a gutter.

I tried to fill the gutter with water.

Therefore, I have the object with the rectangular cut surface.

I want to align this object with the gutter.

I have tried to union the three objects of the gutter.

The union fails.

Even if I try build the difference between the rectangular object and on of the parts of the gutter it fails.

Mescheltana e.K.

Reinhard Meschenmoser

Noelkehof 14

30459 Hannover

Germany

www.mescheltana.de

Ust.ID DE333745877

image001.jpg

Boolean_Problem.3dm (597 KB)

One of the three parts forming the channel intersects on itself. You’ll have to fix this.

I attached a file with a slightly different channel and a part which you can subtract the channel from and the result will be just the water.

The initial water sweep on the left forms a clear intersection and only the vertical ends are coplanar with the channel shape.

sweep.3dm (1.4 MB)

Thank you, that is very helpful.

Mescheltana e.K.

Reinhard Meschenmoser

Noelkehof 14

30459 Hannover

Germany

www.mescheltana.de

Ust.ID DE333745877

~WRD000.jpg

image001.jpg

1 Like

Dear Martin,

I have now tried to make own variations of the channel. I want to make the channel small at to areas where it is more steel like a real river.

Therefore, I reduced the number of anchor points of the rails and correct them. Then I tried to sweep the Surface between the 2 rails.

When I try to select the sweep shape, I am unable to select the whole surface. Instead, only one part of the outline of the shape is selected.

If I try to select more than one part I have an error message when I finish the command. Outside the Sweep2 command I can select the whole

Surface.

Mescheltana e.K.

Reinhard Meschenmoser

Noelkehof 14

30459 Hannover

Germany

www.mescheltana.de

Ust.ID DE333745877

~WRD000.jpg

image001.jpg

Support_red.3dm (8.74 MB)

The Sweep command requires section curves. One way to extract the surface boundary is with the command DupBorder.

Hi Reinhard - the Sweep commands take only curves (including surface edges) as input. I see what you expect, and that may be a worthwhile tool to consider, but it does not exist in Rhino… For now, sweep the border curves and then Join the two surfaces into the result. or in this case, Cap the result.

-Pascal

Meanwhile I had a look on a tutorial for the sweep command. Perhaps my problem is, that I try to have a surface between the two rails. As I understand I can sweep a closed polygon between 2 rails. Therefore, I have to extract a polygon from the surface and then I can sweep. Is that correct ?

Mescheltana e.K.

Reinhard Meschenmoser

Noelkehof 14

30459 Hannover

Germany

www.mescheltana.de

Ust.ID DE333745877